Lane keeping assistance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattressback

Car
1 series
hi all, new to this forum and I’m currently considering a A class 220d amg line . I’ve not had a car that featured “assistance” before and I’m just wondering how intrusive it is day to day. I know it can be switched off but that has to be repeated every time u have to start the car.

So questions

I understand the steering wheel vibrates if u approach a white line, at what point does it apply the brakes?

If I sweep out to overtake a rapidly braking car without indicating (perhaps he missed his turn off) is it going to stop me?

Does it happen if you over take on a dual carriageway without indicating?

Does it happen if you exit or enter a slip road without indicating?

Does it happen if you cut a corner on a winding country road?

What about if you’re passing a cyclist and have to cross over the white lines for a few secs

On a scale of 1 to 10 how annoying is it ? Lol

Cheers

Hi, on my c class , it doesn’t do anything in the scenarios you have mentioned.
It doesn’t brake unless you ignore the pulsing on the steering wheel and you actually start to cross the line. The actual braking you don’t really feel , more just the feeling of the car being pulled back over accompanied by a warning on the dash.
I’ve only had this happen once in 26000 miles. I think when you are doing positive inputs with the steering, throttle or brakes the system is passive.
I would rate it 0 on the annoying scale.

Last edited:
I’ve only had this happen once in 26000 miles. I think when you are doing positive inputs with the steering, throttle or brakes the system is passive.
I would rate it 0 on the annoying scale.

Yet, if you're a smooth driver who doesn't constantly need to correct the steering, brake or do anything much at all, it constantly flashes a red warning to put your hands on the wheel when they've never left it. Sometimes it is very annoying.

Yet, if you're a smooth driver who doesn't constantly need to correct the steering, brake or do anything much at all, it constantly flashes a red warning to put your hands on the wheel when they've never left it. Sometimes it is very annoying.

I only get that if using distrionic. Normal lane keeping assistance (my car) does not show the hands.

Best is probably to download the user manual - it describes conditions quite well.

In summary, you are always in control of the car.

"Lane keeping assist" - assist being the key word.

I don't find it intrusive (I have the full driver assistance package) - will brake the opposite wheels if it thinks you are "drifting over a white line".

If you indicate it thinks you know what you are doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only time I’ve ever seen that on mine is when I’m using the distronic plus with the steering assist and I have taken both hands completely off the steering wheel for a short period.
Maybe yours doesn’t work properly?

The only time I’ve ever seen that on mine is when I’m using the distronic plus with the steering assist and I have taken both hands completely off the steering wheel for a short period.
Maybe yours doesn’t work properly?

No it works fine, but if you are very smooth and don't need to keep adjusting the steering, it thinks you have taken your hands off the wheel.
All of these electronic systems are great, but I've yet to experience one that cannot be bettered by an experienced driver.

No it works fine, but if you are very smooth and don't need to keep adjusting the steering, it thinks you have taken your hands off the wheel.
All of these electronic systems are great, but I've yet to experience one that cannot be bettered by an experienced driver.
I understand that but if yours goes off all the time but yet mine doesn’t even with the car steering itself round a corner at 70mph with just the weight of my hands resting on the steering wheel with no input from me whatsoever then I would say yours is too sensitive and not set correctly.

I understand that but if yours goes off all the time

By going off all the time, only means it measures time between steering inputs, if it feels there aren't any you trigger the warning. It's not constantly flashing and if you make deliberate positive movements with the steering it won't come on. But it's easy to fool it if you do the opposite, so it does not work by sensing your hands physically touching the wheel, but actual wheel movement over a set time.

By going off all the time, only means it measures time between steering inputs, if it feels there aren't any you trigger the warning. It's not constantly flashing and if you make deliberate positive movements with the steering it won't come on. But it's easy to fool it if you do the opposite, so it does not work by sensing your hands physically touching the wheel, but actual wheel movement over a set time.

Not sure about that - I believe that it measures (resistance from you hands) to it's own inputs - you do not need to make any steering inputs while the system is active. I do not 'steer' when mine is active I rest my hand/s on the wheel somewhere. Seems less sensitive at lower speeds.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, not sure it’s cleared it up much, I did download the manual, I’ve decided it’s not going to put me off.

With all the cameras and monitors on modern cars why it needs to guess if you’ve fallen asleep I don’t know, why don’t they just put a camera that points at the driver and monitors eyes open or closed.

Ordered my new car, happily did not tick the box for blind spot, traffic sign recognition etc. Lane assist is standard but will be disabled as soon as I pick the car up.

Park assist could be a giggle to be fair but I had to have it cos I wanted the rear camera.

Ordered my new car, happily did not tick the box for blind spot, traffic sign recognition etc. Lane assist is standard but will be disabled as soon as I pick the car up.

Park assist could be a giggle to be fair but I had to have it cos I wanted the rear camera.
Luddite!!! :)

I did tick the "man with red flag" box.

I won't be. I have been in cars with it fitted and wanted to ram a screwdriver into the speakers to stop the constant beeping.

A constant alert is no alert.

I won't be. I have been in cars with it fitted and wanted to ram a screwdriver into the speakers to stop the constant beeping.

Mine only beeps if I indicate to move over and there is a vehicle in the way. If I'm not indicating then it just shows a red triangle in the door mirror and no beeps.

Then there is something wrong with the way you are using it. Mine never beeps unless I start moving to a lane when there is a car in "my blind spot" or I indicate too soon (before the car has passed) and my car detects something in my "blind spot".

I originally thought blind spot assist would be a waste of money but it came a part of the driver assist package.

The reason I thought that it would be a waste of money is that I have all my mirrors correctly set and do not have any blind spots. However, I have had a moment of inattention and the "blind spot assist" alerted me ......

I was a passenger in a car with it.

These things are not for our benefit. They are simply paving the way for autonomous vehicles.

I preferred to spend my money on a colour choice but yep, horses for courses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom