Laptop and Road Angel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian B Walker

MB Enthusiast
Car
300-24, saloon and coupe, E300 24 valve diesel estate
I was looking through the software on my laptop this afternoon and saw in Autoroute that with a GPS reciever I could use it as Sat Nav. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to use my Angel as a reciever for my laptop and what will I need?

Yes Brian I know.......Garmin S/P III this is a temp measure :D

Ian B Walker said:
I was looking through the software on my laptop this afternoon and saw in Autoroute that with a GPS reciever I could use it as Sat Nav. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to use my Angel as a reciever for my laptop and what will I need?

Yes Brian I know.......Garmin S/P III this is a temp measure :D

Yes - you need a serial lead, and (maybe) a null modem adapter (Needed one with my iPAQ when I had this set up). Enable the GPS output on Road Angel - and sorted !

S.

Last edited:
Ian,

The Road Angel will work as a GPS receiver but you'll want to use software other than AutoRoute as it's not very good at updating current position from a GPS signal making it next to useless for Sat Nav functionality.

Sp!ke has done alot of research in this area. Try a search for 'laptop + navigation' and you'll probably pick up past posts where Sp!ke has answered my questions.

S.

Autoroute does work... and there is some software you can download for $10 which adds voice guidance as well but I wouldnt bother.

Go to http://www.directions.ltd.uk and buy Infomap Navigator 4, its the absolute business. Its cheap as chips and does everything it says on the box remarkably well. :bannana:

Thanks for all the answers Guys. Looks like I am going to forget this and just wait a while for Garmin.

Can you give me more info on the voice guidance for Autoroute ( I use it occasionaly) - but have never heard anything about this addin ??

WL

WLeg said:
Can you give me more info on the voice guidance for Autoroute ( I use it occasionaly) - but have never heard anything about this addin ??

WL

You can read all about it here... it works reasonably well but is let down by autoroute's mapping.

However, for 35 punds, I recommend you dump autoroute and buy Infomap Navigator 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom