Laptop diagnosis please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beetnik

Car
Volvo V60 2.4 bi-turbo: SLK 200
Dell Laptop running Win7 Ultimate:

start boot process
model name comes up as usual
progress bar runs to about 2/3 of way across and stops
only option is F12 Boot Options*
press F12
message 'preparing one time boot menu'
nothing happens

or I can hit F2 Setup
'Preparing to enter Setup'
nothing happens

where do I go next (new laptop shop?)

Last edited:
Have you tried pressing F8 and entering safe mode.

Failing that I think F8 also gives a restore to factory settings. But that will delete all you data I believe.

Does the one time boot menu not allow you to boot in safe mode?

If all else fails, assuming you have OS CD's handy, suggest booting off CD and doing a repair install which would leave your documents and programs intact and just repair windows.

Laptop is about 2 years old, had some heavy use and has worked fine until this morning when it just went bsod.

I can't get into safe mode, F8 has no effect and it won't boot from the CD drive so I'm snookered!

Looks like a new purchase and a caddy to see if I can get the data off it.

You could always try the old trick of removing the RAM and then holding the power button for 10 seconds til you hear it click.

Then reinsert one stick of ram in and see if one or other was faulty and try and boot again.

The 10 second trick on the power button on its own may actually solve things.

First try reseating the RAM modules. usually underneath a cover on the underside. If you have 2 try each one alone in turn. Sometimes there will be post - boot beeps or some light flashes to tell you what's wrong-- if there is take a note and look them up on the laptop manufacturers web site troubleshooting section?
Spike beat me to it!

Tested both sticks and reseated RAM and all is well!

Thanks, guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom