Laptop fire beware Dell latitude owners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flango

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes SLK R171
Just sat here sipping a nice shiraz when i can smell burning, just made chilli so check the cooker and hob and its cold. Go in the hall as swmbo and daughter are in bed my laptop bag at the bottom of the stairs is smouldering nicely, open it up and cant touch the laptop had to get a teatowel to get it out and place outside to cool laptop bag and contents including laptop trashed.

Laptop was closed down and taken off its dock properly at work this evening, fortunately i backed up everything before i left for home.

So Dell latitude owners beware this could have been a very different ending if we were all in bed.

Got it in March this year so i reckon about 5 months, its totally fried all plastic melted the heat was incredible, taught me a lesson :thumb:

I remember that as my battery for my old Dell D420 was replaced because of it. This one is one of the brand new 6000 series and up until now been brilliant

Good job you caught it on time.

Scarey to thing of what could have happened.

Had something similar with a BT cordless phone left in the charger on it first day of use to charge overnight. Not good.

I'm sure you will, but make sure that you report it to Dell and it's escalated to a senior level so that it is 'noticed'.

What a potentially very dangerous situation. Main thing is Ian got the thing outside.

Dell will have to replace like for like

Was it fully turned off? Various vents can get blocked, which makes them overheat, particularly in a bag if they become active. They will get very hot, but certainly not hot enough to melt the casing or cause damage.

Back to Dell, I think.

Totally off, it powered down on the dock at work and I always check its fully shut down before I eject it from the dock, as you say back to Dell via our IT department.

Doesn't sound good. Where was the heat concentrated, it could be a faulty battery, or a short inside the laptop somewhere.

It doesn't appear to be a common fault, but not unknown, either.

Doesn't sound good. Where was the heat concentrated, it could be a faulty battery, or a short inside the laptop somewhere.

It doesn't appear to be a common fault, but not unknown, either.

Hard to tell it was such a mess but the sides near the vents were the hottest as you would expect

I'm sure you will, but make sure that you report it to Dell and it's escalated to a senior level so that it is 'noticed'.

Don't forget to tell them the smoke has damaged ALL the decor in your house.

I might be inclined to not mention the Lapy Bag, just in case they try and infer it wasn't shut down properly in the first place.

Even if it was in a bag it should be monitoring internal temperature so should **** down if necessary.

Some of our staff never shut them down, just close and go.

saw something similar once before where the owner had previously selected the reboot option during the day. He then shut it down (he thought) - screen went blank, closed the lid & stuck it in his bag but it was still on the last (reboot) option, so started itself up again.

No fire, but extremely hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom