laptop upto £2200

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercmanuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180 AVANTGARDE SE SPORT GONE AND MISSED LANDROVER FREELANDER 2 LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW LET IT SNOW
whats the best laptop available at the moment,my mates been allowed £2200 to buy a laptop for home use from work and has no idea what to get.any ideas anyone...toshiba,sony ???

I would buy a VAIO ,or might even be tempted to go to the other side and get a really nice MACBOOK PRO.

I would buy a VAIO ,or might even be tempted to go to the other side and get a really nice MACBOOK PRO.
Take a tip from Sp!ke and factor a couple of hundred pounds into extra warranty for a VAIO. VAIOs look amazing but they fall apart after a year or two due to cheap plastic parts etc. Great laptops but not built to last like the aforementioned "IBM" (Lenovo) Stinkpads.

His firm have offered £2.2K to buy a laptop ??? - for home use???

Can I work for them??

Voodoo Envy H:201
http://www.voodoopc.com/sellpage/sellpage.aspx?spid=74
Is comfortably the best laptop money can buy in the world at the moment and retails at just $5,300 :cool:

Seriously though recommendations depend on what he needs it for and whether his employer has a preferred supplier.

Hello if he likes a Mac and uses one then a 17"Mac book pro

for a semi normal laptop I like the Toshiba make and the quasimo (think thats right) is pretty good, 512mb video graphics, 17" screen, 2 *200mb hard disks etc etc.

What ever he gets I would recommend the upgraded warranty, the apples come with 3 years. The toshiba 2 years.

If its a home machine also I would definately go for 17" screen, if however it will be used mobile then maybe lightweight and better battery is important.

Depends on his needs / requirements but you should be able to et smething very good for that sort of moey.

cheers

Take a tip from Sp!ke and factor a couple of hundred pounds into extra warranty for a VAIO. VAIOs look amazing but they fall apart after a year or two due to cheap plastic parts etc. Great laptops but not built to last like the aforementioned "IBM" (Lenovo) Stinkpads.

Shude we will have to agree to disagree on this one, I have had 3 vaios, and 2 ibms over my professional life, and only ever had problems with the IBM's. I also currently have a dodgy dell (not great).

That said the lower end VAIO's are a bit on the dodgy side with regard to build quality, but I have always found the high end ones good.

Warranty is a good idea, but if its a business machine, may already be covered by company.

Is there any contribution from your friend himself?

Unless he needs serious amounts of power, which I suspect he won't if it's for home use and he's not sure what to get, then I'd buy something cheaper.

Just £1k could get a nice laptop, more than good enough for browsing that superhighweb thingy - if it ever catches on. :D

PS I like VAIO - in fact I'm using one as I type!!

I've had a few VAIOs lovely to look at but they really do fall to bits.

Thinkpads are my 'money no object' tool of choice for the Windows OS

Macbook pros are my general overall choice, though. mmm mm mmm

EDIT: Can't really argue too much with the current line of business Dells either actually. My work one takes a beating and keeps coming back for more :)

hp pavilion dv 9000 series!

That's what I was going to say...after 6 Tosh's I've moved to HP, and consider the pavilions to be bettter built, and they do what they should.

For £2200 he's going to need to buy a business class laptop.

I'm using an HP (connected to a clients network) and its far better than the laptops I buy for personal use.

Brands not to touch - Dell/Acer/Sony

MacBook Pro, as much RAM as it'll take, 3-year AppleCare and a copy of Parallels if you want to run Windows on it as well

Nick Froome
www.pvision.co.uk

I've got a Sony Vaio and it's hardware has gone t*ts up after 14 months (just out of warranty) and it's not used a lot.
I've an old Asus Built like a brick (weighed like a brick) but still going strong

next one i would probably go for is either Rock http://www.rockdirect.com/
or Alienware http://www.alienware.co.uk/product_pages/notebook_all_default.aspx

If not then a mac

Cant he just spend £600 and keep the change? :D

I know I would.

FWIW, we're now paying just £500 for the latest T61P core 2 duo thinkpad with 2Gb RAM and a 160gb HDD & with 3 years on site warranty....

£2200, someone really doesnt know about current prices.

Cant he just spend £600 and keep the change? :D

I know I would.

FWIW, we're now paying just £500 for the latest T61P core 2 duo thinkpad with 2Gb RAM and a 160gb HDD & with 3 years on site warranty....

£2200, someone really doesnt know about current prices.

Agree entirely, seems a pointless figure to have quoted from the company, considering what is now readily available for a fraction of that price - without knowing exactly what it will be used for, type of business, software to be used etc.

Rob

Why a laptop for home use ? - you can get more power for less money in a desktop.....or for £2k you can get both....

For what it's worth, get a Lenovo T6XX or HP.....(not a Compaq fro PC world)

I have a 17" MacBook Pro from work (the new generation that came out 3/4 months ago) STAY AWAY from them!

We ordered 20 of these, and our problem list is almost endless! Overheating seems to be a big issue (both with the laptop itself and that power adapter). Apple have told us "its not a laptop, its a notebook" (i.e. don't put it on your lap or you will get burned). I just sent the third power supply with a molten cable back to apple today.

Next most common problem we have are the power cords fraying next too the magnetic mount (yes, in 3 months!)

Thirdly, (more cosmetic) the alloy case "warps" and you end up with a screen that touches the keyboard and latching mecchanism in the center, but a 5mm gap on the sides.

Couple that with the difficulty in acquiring software for OsX, and the difficulty of using M$ Office on a Mac (if its for business use, I'll assume he will need office) and its suddenly not really worth it.

I don't hate Macs - I just don't see them as superior to any other hardware assembler. The new Macbook Pros are easily one of apple's worst quality creations in a long time! (and we still don't know if the new macbook pros have the same problem as the old ones with the batteries "bulging")

I would have gone with a Toshiba - but their quality has gone down the drain recently... I've always wanted an AlienWare - but that was because I got hooked before they got bought by Dell. I cannot comment on their build quality since Dell bought them...

Michele

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom