Laptop Wireless issue, help please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EDZ649

MB Enthusiast
Car
W210 E55 AMG
I have just bought my son a new wireless enabled laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium and I want to connect it to my wireless router.

The problem is that it can't find my router. It can see four other routers in my area i.e. neighbours but not mine.

I have tried another router and am having the same problems. I can however connect it through my router using a LAN cable.

I have tried all the usual stuff like re-booting the computers and the router but to no avail.

The router is about three years old, could this be a compatabilty issue?

Any help would be much appreciated.:)

Is your router broadcasting it's ssid. you can check this via the routers setup page.

I guess I should ask - can any other wireless device (if you have any) in the house see the router..?

Is your router broadcasting it's ssid. you can check this via the routers setup page.

I guess I should ask - can any other wireless device (if you have any) in the house see the router..?

Thanks, yes I can connect my son's PS3 and his iphone to the router.

I will check the ssid.

If others are connecte dthen the ssid must have been broadcast - you can change this though so it might once have been but no longer. Worth a look.

Is the wireless module on the laptop definitely turned on?

Many of them have a button on the chassis somewhere to activate it. You'll probably have a blue LED next to a wireless symbol somewhere. Make sure this is lit.

ssid is being broadcast and the wireless adapter is on, a message box came on to say it was. As I said earlier, the laptop is picking up my neighbours wireless network.

what standard is your router using B and/or G perhaps?

Quite possibly your router is B only but your new laptop can only do G and N or something.

You can install netstumbler on another PC and it will tell you whats what.

what standard is your router using B and/or G perhaps?

Quite possibly your router is B only but your new laptop can only do G and N or something.

You can install netstumbler on another PC and it will tell you whats what.

Cheers Spike, that's what Iv'e been thinking, a compatability issue. I take it netstumbler is a free download??

ssid is being broadcast and the wireless adapter is on, a message box came on to say it was. As I said earlier, the laptop is picking up my neighbours wireless network.

Ok sorry, didn't read the thread closely enough.

Doubtful a compatibility issue if it is only 3 years old. I would do the following:

1. Check the wireless settings in the laptop match those on the PS3
2. I had an issue with my router using Wireless N protocol. Had to revert to b/g to connect. You could try this if you are on Wireless N
3. As you have tried a different router assume that the one that is working has been rebooted? If not do this also. I have a Netgear that becomes undiscoverable occasionally
4. Do you have the router setup to only connect to certain MAC addresses or is there no restriction? If MAC address filtering is on disable it
5. Try setting up an ad hoc connection to the PS3

Hopefully one of the above will put you on the right path

Ok sorry, didn't read the thread closely enough.

Doubtful a compatibility issue if it is only 3 years old. I would do the following:

1. Check the wireless settings in the laptop match those on the PS3
2. I had an issue with my router using Wireless N protocol. Had to revert to b/g to connect. You could try this if you are on Wireless N
3. As you have tried a different router assume that the one that is working has been rebooted? If not do this also. I have a Netgear that becomes undiscoverable occasionally
4. Do you have the router setup to only connect to certain MAC addresses or is there no restriction? If MAC address filtering is on disable it
5. Try setting up an ad hoc connection to the PS3

Hopefully one of the above will put you on the right path

No MAC restrictions on, already disabled.
Can't check the PS3 at the mo as it's not here.
Changed the wireless adaptor settings on the new laptop to b/g as it was set to b/g/n but no difference. The router only shows b or b/g.
Re-booted router again and the laptop.

Still not able to connect :confused:

No MAC restrictions on, already disabled.
Can't check the PS3 at the mo as it's not here.
Changed the wireless adaptor settings on the new laptop to b/g as it was set to b/g/n but no difference. The router only shows b or b/g.
Re-booted router again and the laptop.

Still not able to connect :confused:

Ok, as you don't have the PS3 can you confirm that you're IPhone is connected to the router to confirm it is broadcasting as it should.

Try changing the channel setting on your router, I guess it's possible that the wireless module in the laptop may not be able to see a particular channel if there is a fault with it, maybe at one end of the spectrum or perhaps there is a clash with another router of a neighbours.

Ok, as you don't have the PS3 can you confirm that you're IPhone is connected to the router to confirm it is broadcasting as it should.

Try changing the channel setting on your router, I guess it's possible that the wireless module in the laptop may not be able to see a particular channel if there is a fault with it, maybe at one end of the spectrum or perhaps there is a clash with another router of a neighbours.

I can't check the iphone today either, it's my son who has that and he isnt here at the mo but we have connected it many times before witout issue. I have tried changing the channel, it was set on 11 so I tried 01 but still no difference...

I can't check the iphone today either, it's my son who has that and he isnt here at the mo but we have connected it many times before witout issue. I have tried changing the channel, it was set on 11 so I tried 01 but still no difference...

TBH it sounds like your router isn't broadcasting because the laptop can see other networks and not yours.

I know you've changed the channel, is the wireless broadcasting definitely enabled? i.e. do you have the appropriate light on the box to show that it is broadcasting a wireless network. If so do you know any of your neighbours well enough to ask them if they can see your network with a wireless device?

Also, don't know if it will make a difference but don't have the laptop sat right next to the router. Make sure they are at least a few feet apart.

Just tried connecting to the router via a wireless LAN USB adapter, that didn't work either. Sounds like you could be right about the broadcast even though it shows as active. I think I will take it into work on Monday and try and connect to my wirless router there.

Thanks for all your help :)

No worries hope you get sorted.

In my experience most wireless routers don't last that long anyway. 3-4 years is probably about right. I think this may be down to the amount of heat they generate. I've had three and they have all run quite hot.

Even if your laptop can't see the router, try typing the exact name of the network into the 'connect to' box.

I don't broadcast my SSID and hence it doesn't show up in a wifi search, but we can always connect various xboxes and similar by entering the network name in the box.

Not sure if that relevant to this issue, but don't forget SSID's are case sensitive - 'mynetwork' and 'Mynetwork' are two different wireless networks as far the as the wireless software and broadcasting are concerned.

do a factory reset on the router

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom