laquer finish lifting off door panel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gjojones

Car
CLK 220 cdi
I bought my 55 reg CLK from my local MB dealer in Swansea 2 years ago, with what I was led to belive was full bodywork warrenty (as I wasn't told any different).

I now find out, from the MB dealer, that the car had been resprayed (not by a MB dealer) prior to my purchase and therefore he will not resolve my problem of the laquer finish lifting off the diriver's door panel under the MB warrenty.

I have advised him that I'm unhappy that he will not take responsibility for selling a vehicle that did not have full body/paintwork warranty cover, while suggesting that to be the case. That being something I may expect from a 'run of the mill' 2nd hand car dealer, but not from a 'quality' dealer such as Mercedes-Benz.

His reply is that as I bought the car from him, as a goodwill gesture he is prepared to put a 50% contribution to the repair of the vehicle - which will still leave me ~£450 out of pocket.

I don't believe this to be reasonable - what should I do?:dk:

I presume it was a Mercedes Approved car on the forecourt, in which case I would have thought that it should be covered, has it got the neccessary MB service record. As an ordinary purchaser you would have no way of knowing it had been resprayed, so if that is the case were you made aware at the time of purchase. I'd make more of a fuss.

I presume it was a Mercedes Approved car on the forecourt, in which case I would have thought that it should be covered, has it got the neccessary MB service record. As an ordinary purchaser you would have no way of knowing it had been resprayed, so if that is the case were you made aware at the time of purchase. I'd make more of a fuss.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes it was a Mercedes Approved car on the forecourt, with the neccessary MB service record. The dealer even threw in an extended 1 year mechanical warrranty on top of the usual 12 months and believing the vehicle already had Mercedes-Benz full body/paintwork warranty cover, the extended engine/parts warranty, was a deciding factor to purchase the vehicle.

I have lacquer peeling as well. They basically can#'t paint the cars they build

i have seen some of your pics... (including the snap shot of your speedo) :thumb:

and can only conclude your paint damage imust have been caused during re-entry... :D

i have seen some of your pics... (including the snap shot of your speedo) :thumb:

and can only conclude your paint damage imust have been caused during re-entry... :D

True, it does get some stick. However there is a major weakness if the car can't take the speeds it was designed to be driven at. I dare say the majority of UK drivers with my car won't have frequently breached 150mph or even 120mph in their cars but I bet theirs are decaying.

Its well looked after, I wash it every 2 monthss and its always got a layer of wax on it. Its been clayed 2x in my ownership and washed about 6 times properly.

Perhaps a jet wash has taken the lacquer off.

Job for a body shop to keep her tip top.

It is probably not the lacquer from the factory; it has been repaired at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom