Large belt off engine came off !!!!! CL 600.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

njkmr

Hi All ,
have had my car for two weeks .Just hoovered and washed it and went for a quick spin to dry (yes usual excuse I know ).
Any way got down the road and ABC light came on dash display followed by charge battery .
Power steering stopped working ,so I pulled over .Car was rocking a bit also .
Decided to return home asap ,and managed to get on my drive where it was making a bit of a racket .
Switched off and lifted bonnet to see the belt was off and a pully wheel was in pieces .It is the top left hand side one as you are looking at the car engine from the front .

Whats the damage do you think .Can I move it at all ,say into my garage or will starting the car wreck anything ?.I have removed the belt and the bits of pulley wheel .
Is this a common occurrence ?Am I likely to have damaged anything already .
Any guidance will be appreciated .
Many Thanks .
Rob .

Anybody know where i can find a diagram of how the belt goes back ??

Found out its a common problem .

Will get a new pulley ,but putting belt back may prove difficult ,unless someone can advise on an easy way .

Regards
Rob.

Not 100% this is your engine but have a look and see
B21220000003.1041.gif

Thanks lynall ,
I will see if that looks anything like mine .:thumb:

You wont have done any damage to it, but obviously dont drive it until you've secured a new pulley and its been put on by someone who knows what he's doing. Let us know how it goes.

Ordered the part from Mercedes £37 .
Will put it on on Weds when part arrives .

So is putting the belt on a difficult job ,or is it possible to fit myself with some technical ability .??

Has anyone done it themselves ??

Regards
Rob.

I've done similar things but not this particular job, i'm not a mechanic and with the right tools it still took me 3 hours to replace my water pump for example! If you've done something similar before then you can give it a go, otherwise find an Indy that will come to your house.

Putting the new pulley on wont be a problem as its only one torque bolt .
Its deciding which way the belt goes on that I need to get my head around ,and I am hoping it has a bit of give in the belt and will pull over the last pulley when I get to that stage .!!!
Thanks Adam .
Regards
Rob .

Putting the new pulley on wont be a problem as its only one torque bolt .
Its deciding which way the belt goes on that I need to get my head around ,and I am hoping it has a bit of give in the belt and will pull over the last pulley when I get to that stage .!!!
Thanks Adam .
Regards
Rob .

Hopefully someone here will confirm but one of those pulleys will have a tensioner attached to it which you can release before attempting to 'stretch' the belt over it??

Hi , didn't you get an owner's handbook with the car ?

Assuming you have it , look up 'Poly-V-Belt' in the index at the back - there should be diagrams showing belt layouts and location of the tensioner .

Thanks Pontoneer .

I have the book so I will see if it has a diagram in there .

Will also look for the tensioner ,might make life a bit easier ,although its a bit tight for space down near all the other pulleys .

Thanks Fellas .

ummmm, couldnt find any pics of the belt layout in the handbook .

It wasn't in my handbook either. Luckily I have a PDF of the American handbook, which does feature it.

PolyVBelt.jpg

Thanks amwebby .

Much Appreciated .

I think its number 8 that broke off on mine .
Doesnt look to difficult looking at that pic .
Thanks Again
Regards
Rob.

ummmmm ,toiling a bit here to be honest .

Got the new pulley on no probs .

Tried to match mine to the diagram above ,but mine seems to have 9 wheels/pulleys to go round .(not 8 as in picture above )

Also ,there is very little room to manouver .

Does anyone else have a diagram of the front of cl600 engine ,showing the pulley arrangement .

And how easy is it to remove the radiator fan/surround that I keep trapping my hand on .!!!!!!

Any help appreciated .

Pic above is for cl500 which is a v8 not that it should make any difference but it obviously does.

Viscous fan or electric?

If viscous google viscous spanner, once fan removed should be enough room.

Lynall

The picture above has diagrams fro both CL500 and CL600. It is from model year 2002 so I can only assume some change after that, adding the extra pulley.

Edit: I've just checked my 2000 CL50 and there's only 7 pulleys. Cearly MB adds one every two years. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The picture above has diagrams fro both CL500 and CL600. It is from model year 2002 so I can only assume some change after that, adding the extra pulley.

Edit: I've just checked my 2000 CL50 and there's only 7 pulleys. Cearly MB adds one every two years. :rolleyes:

Lol .
You could be right amwebby .!!!

Problem now sorted .Called on a bloke I know with a garage .He came and sorted it this morning .BJ Motors in Heywood (near Rochdale Lancs.Recommended .)

He had a book with all the configuration in .
I have now copied the page also for future reference !!!!

Happy Chap again .

Thanks All for the responses .:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom