Large Scratch DIY Repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
This happened last week - I have 2 cm clearance each side of my garage door frame and after 2 1/2 years the inevitable happened:

IMG-20160304-WA0000_zpsdhsay5ec.jpeg

IMG-20160304-WA0002_zps3kgzfrpg.jpeg

I was gutted, however after around an hour of elbow grease + Meguiars Ultimate Cut Compound I have removed 98%:

IMG_20160306_153127_zps3fze8qrx.jpg

Amazingly it there are no dents at all! :bannana::bannana::bannana:

dude that sucks i am facing the same clearance problem with my 8. im in the process of carpeting all of the problem area's and also keeping a bit back just to roll around the sides of the garage frame whilst i get the car in. had similar issues with my sl 's in the past!! garages need to be made way bigger. do you know any painter's give me a shout if you get stuck

2cm clearance each side... that's crazy. I'd have more scrapes than that in 2.5 years.

First impression would give you a heart attack but having seen someone do something very similar, I too managed to get most of it out with some G3. The scuffed lacquer on black paint looks a lot worse than it is. Good work there KHz :thumb:

dude that sucks i am facing the same clearance problem with my 8. im in the process of carpeting all of the problem area's and also keeping a bit back just to roll around the sides of the garage frame whilst i get the car in. had similar issues with my sl 's in the past!! garages need to be made way bigger. do you know any painter's give me a shout if you get stuck

Its never been an issue as I consider myself a Parking Ninja™ however I had a couple of boxes in the garage at the time and I was watching them as I did it.

Its virtually impossible to see a single scratch now :thumb: I was budgeting around £500 to sort it :(

First impression would give you a heart attack but having seen someone do something very similar, I too managed to get most of it out with some G3. The scuffed lacquer on black paint looks a lot worse than it is. Good work there KHz :thumb:

The Gloss on the frame is only around 6 months old and lucky for me, still soft :thumb:

Just thinking, could you stick a layer of felt down the edge, so if you did scrape again, there wouldn't be white paint again?

My clearance is a bit more than that, but I obtained a large mirror which I have hung at the far end of the garage and angled so that I can see up the side of the car whilst driving in. It also helps going back out.

Ernie

Unless you don't actually own the garage, or there is something written into the deeds, it would pay to have the door standards removed and an internally mounted door fitted. Looks from the pics on t'other thread that you might gain 5"- 6" oa width.

Just a thought but I had a similar problem,with the garage door not being wide enough,I had £800 worth of roller shutter doors fitted,they fit behind the brickwork and so you gain the width of the wooden frame each side ,a shame I had to move soon after,and where I live now the S320 will not go in so have stayed with the old up and over.

Well done sir, I wouldn't have thought that possible

One quick question, as the stupid rear sensors don't go audible until red (why not on amber as you reverse towards the object rather than into it :wallbash: :wallbash:)

"Meguiars Ultimate Cut Compound I have removed 98%:"

My mark is much less than yours was, but is the Meg's that much better than t cut or t cut scratch remover which I have to hand and was about to go and have a go with later today on the rear bumper......?

And does anybody know if you can modify when the parktronic becomes audible?

Good job on the paint transfer removal. :) Well done.

Good question Fabes, the reverse sensors on my ML seem to be set for Nuclear Submarine detection and fire off for anything within about 20 yards, rendering them useless to me. (unless reversing down by the old Sub Pens). ;)

Bad luck, i did the same thing a while back when i had a garage.

You r so lucky . The same location happened on my previous black and always was on my nerve. After spending £500 on a local garage after first car wash the area was still dull. [emoji856]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good job on the paint transfer removal. :) Well done.

Good question Fabes, the reverse sensors on my ML seem to be set for Nuclear Submarine detection and fire off for anything within about 20 yards, rendering them useless to me. (unless reversing down by the old Sub Pens). ;)

That's the opposite of mine

I am told its NOT a STAR function, but how they are supposed to be (no audio until the very, very last minute) but really..?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom