Larger Replacement Wheels.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
mercedes benz e220 cabriolet
Hi all,
I picked up a 2012 E220d Cab in February this year with 17" wheels fitted as standard. I checked the tyres especially as prior to purchase I checked out the previous MOT history and tyres were an advisory on the previous MOT, IIRC. I happen to think that the car, nice though it is, suffers from having wheels that are too small and spoil the general look of the car. All four also have almost new nexen winter tyres on. I would like to replace these with summer or all season tyres and while I'm at it, I'd like to replace the wheels with larger ones. I'm tending toward 19's but found a really good deal on a set of 20's. I had 19's on my previous audi a5 with 245/35/19's that really looked the part. Can someone with 19's or 20's on let me know how they affect handling and grip etc? I'd like to move on this asap in case those 20's are still available and of course, if they fit.
Thanks

PS I hate those Nexens. I've had the back end suddenly go on the way out of a Tesco carpark when it was slightly damp. I just don't trust them. Sorry Nexen fans, if there are such creatures.

Frankie

Got 19s on my 2011
E class coupe the ride is no problem whatsoever and look great,
8.5x19 * 235/35/19 Front
9.5x19 * 265/30/19 Rear
You can go 20s I have toyed with the idea.
Choice is yours :)
Here's mine on 19s and lowered on H&R springs.
20200410_123958.jpg

Gazwould, agree and ruin the ride. My CLK has 16 inch wheels and 205 front tyres. In the resent heavy rain I nearly lost it on a corner with large puddle. Am pretty sure if the CLK was fitted with 1/2 worn 225 tyres it would landed in the adjacent field.

It's all about opinions, but imo, 19s just don't ruin the ride at all, and neither do 20s for that matter, had loads of different cars, with 19s and 20s and they've all been fine.
Again IMO. :)

I was surprised to see many preowned MB on Nexens. Unsure if they are approved OEM but a few cars on the forecourt had new ones fitted.

In all likelihood your car will take from 17 through 20".

Lower the inches - better the ride.
Higher the inches - better the looks.

Remember that the offset of the cabriolet wheels differs from the saloon variant when wheel shopping. However, once you know what to look out for and calculate it is easy to buy many variants. Remember any insurance repercussions.

There's alot of physics around bigger heavier wheels , visually an upgrade but with multiple dynamic losses .
Yes, I get that. I've been looking at various charts, but not really sure what it all means in the real world. I'm asking for the info straight from the horses mouth before I decide. I know the e class does come with 19s as standard on the more powerful models, sadly mine being the 220d has all the pulling power of me in a night club, but 17s, really?? So I would be leaning towards 19s, but would like to know about 20
Got 19s on my 2011
E class coupe the ride is no problem whatsoever and look great,
8.5x19 * 235/35/19 Front
9.5x19 * 265/30/19 Rear
You can go 20s I have toyed with the idea.
Choice is yours :)
Here's mine on 19s and lowered on H&R springs.
View attachment 94784
Oh dear. I think I may have had a pant accident.

Frankie, obviously the end choice is yours, but 19s or
20s will look great on your car, bigger wheels
(unless stupidly big) will always look better on most cars. And handle and ride perfectly fine, unless you like going round corners on your door handles. :rolleyes:
A few of my cars with bigger wheels.
Focus ST2 on 20s
20200407_191933.jpg
Civic FN2 Type R on 19s
20200407_204934.jpg
Even a Smart 451 on 17s
20200407_205910.jpg
And here's a A207 on 20s
20200420_122109.jpg
Over to you Frankie. :)

Either 19s or 20s will fit, but as suggested the ride will be firmer and the risk of damaging the wheel/tyre will be greater.

Do not expect handling to improve unless you buy a wheel/tyre combination which is lighter than your existing wheels and tyres. If they’re heavier then handling worsen, along with straight line performance.

Also be prepared to lower the suspension to make it look right, as your suspension will be high if it was a model shipped from the factory with 17-inch wheels. If you maintain the rolling radius (which you should) then the gap between the tyre and the arch will be the same and will look weird with rubber band tyres.

On balance there will be more downsides than upsides but if you like the look then it willl outweigh the downsides. I have larger wheels on some of my cars and I’m happy with the compromises.

My advice would be to make sure that the wheel and tyre sizes are identical to a larger combination shipped from the factory or “trusted” source (eg Brabus). This includes the offset, the most important thing of all on my opinion.

If you get the offset wrong then the tyre could rub in the bodywork or suspension, and could put unnecessary stress on other components leading to premature failure (eg ball joints).

Can you let us know the wheel and tyre sizes (including offset, which is a two digit number with the letters “ET”) of your current set up and the sets you have your eye on, and we can advise accordingly.

My 211 came with 19" (not standard with the car). I switched to 17" and the ride is excellent now. Apparently 18" crack regularly due to the weight of the estate.

(unless stupidly big) will always look better on most cars. And handle and ride perfectly fine, unless you like going round corners on your door handles. :rolleyes:

What then is the point if the performance advantage isn't exploited? All sizzle and no sausage.

What then is the point if the performance advantage isn't exploited? All sizzle and no sausage.
Don't agree, the ST2 the Type R and indeed my current 350 cdi are all very fast, (all re-mapped)
in a straight line, which let face it, is what most people want, and were still tidy enough in the corners, definitely NOT all
sizzle, with the bonus of looking fantastic. :)

….I know the e class does come with 19s as standard on the more powerful models, sadly mine being the 220d has all the pulling power of me in a night club, but 17s, really?? …..

Probably because 17" gives a better ride / handling balance for the majority of owners.

And cost implications

And emissions / VED reasons...

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't agree, the ST2 the Type R and indeed my current 350 cdi are all very fast, (all re-mapped)
in a straight line, which let face it, is what most people want, and were still tidy enough in the corners, definitely NOT all
sizzle, with the bonus of looking fantastic. :)

They would be fast in a straight line on any profile (BD says quicker on higher profile) and still no performance gain in cornering. Or gain that anyone is prepared to exploit - which IMO is pointless. Especially given the other negatives. Stiletto heels for men then.

They would be fast in a straight line on any profile (BD says quicker on higher profile) and still no performance gain in cornering. Or gain that anyone is prepared to exploit - which IMO is pointless. Especially given the other negatives. Stiletto heels for men then.
Mmmm, :rolleyes: we'll just have to disagree on this Bellow
:wallbash: :)

I can see that you would prefer 19" or 29" to drag the styling into the 21st century, nothing wrong with that.

But you must accept the compromises that bigger wheels bring:-

Crashing ride on anything other than ultra-smooth roads.
More tyre/road noise
You'll be constantly surveying the road ahead for potholes (after wrecking the first wheel)
Way more tramlining
Way more aquaplaning
You will probably be charged extra by your insurance company

Of course there's upsides:-

Impress fellow wheel-obsessives
Pull more G
Better turn-in
Supermodels will accost you in Waitrose car park and whisk you off on exotic holidays.....

You can see it's a no-brainer....

Mmmm, :rolleyes: we'll just have to disagree on this Bellow
:wallbash: :)

Not really. We have come to the same conclusion. Larger wheels are an aesthetic not performance upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom