Larger Replacement Wheels.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do F1 cars run large or small diameter wheels?

Not really. We have come to the same conclusion. Larger wheels are an aesthetic not performance upgrade.
Yep, have to agree with that. :cool:
I can see that you would prefer 19" or 29" to drag the styling into the 21st century, nothing wrong with that.

But you must accept the compromises that bigger wheels bring:-

Crashing ride on anything other than ultra-smooth roads.
More tyre/road noise
You'll be constantly surveying the road ahead for potholes (after wrecking the first wheel)
Way more tramlining
Way more aquaplaning
You will probably be charged extra by your insurance company

Of course there's upsides:-

Impress fellow wheel-obsessives
Pull more G
Better turn-in
Supermodels will accost you in Waitrose car park and whisk you off on exotic holidays.....

You can see it's a no-brainer....
Mmmm, :rolleyes:

Do F1 cars run large or small diameter wheels?

Well they are about to change - but here's the real question. Do the roads we drive on more resemble a billiard ball table smooth race track or the surface of the moon?
I know what the answer to that is in my neck of the woods and running 65 profiles and not giving a damn about damaging anything means I'm going to be quicker across the ground than anyone on lo-pros. On real world roads that is.

Probably because 17" gives a better ride / handling balance for the majority of owners.

And cost implications

And emissions / VED reasons...
But... but they don't look as nice as big ones!

Yeah, fair point, but it's a personal preference thing though. Why do some folk get remaps or tuning boxes or, God forbid, rear wings. My personal preference is for bigger wheels as I think they make the car look better. I'm a sad old bloke that sticks to speed limits (no other option. The 220d has all the pulling power of me in a night club...)so minor differences in handling are not that important to me. As for cost, my car is my thing. No footy anymore, no clubbing, no golf (please shoot me if I'm ever seen with a bag of golf bats), so whatever I have left after paying the bills is mine. Surprising what you can achieve with 40 quid a month.
Seriously though, it's purely for aesthetic value.

Frankie, obviously the end choice is yours, but 19s or
20s will look great on your car, bigger wheels
(unless stupidly big) will always look better on most cars. And handle and ride perfectly fine, unless you like going round corners on your door handles. :rolleyes:
A few of my cars with bigger wheels.
Focus ST2 on 20s
View attachment 94790
Civic FN2 Type R on 19s
View attachment 94791
Even a Smart 451 on 17s
View attachment 94792
And here's a A207 on 20s
View attachment 94793
Over to you Frankie. :)
I like the smart car ones. They look a bit like lenso granzos' that I had on an XF a few years back. Merc is a lovely colour, mine is selenite grey, metallic, gorgeous colour. If I could choose a set for mine it would be the ST's in a flash.
Nice wheels and nice cars, cheers for sharing.
I do like that ST, though. Is it lowering springs or coil overs?

Yeah, fair point, but it's a personal preference thing though. Why do some folk get remaps or tuning boxes or, God forbid, rear wings. My personal preference is for bigger wheels as I think they make the car look better. I'm a sad old bloke that sticks to speed limits (no other option. The 220d has all the pulling power of me in a night club...)so minor differences in handling are not that important to me. As for cost, my car is my thing. No footy anymore, no clubbing, no golf (please shoot me if I'm ever seen with a bag of golf bats), so whatever I have left after paying the bills is mine. Surprising what you can achieve with 40 quid a month.

you asked why MB doesn’t fit larger wheels to all models.. I suggested reasons..

buying used limits your personal preferences...

I like the smart car ones. They look a bit like lenso granzos' that I had on an XF a few years back. Merc is a lovely colour, mine is selenite grey, metallic, gorgeous colour. If I could choose a set for mine it would be the ST's in a flash.
Nice wheels and nice cars, cheers for sharing.
I do like that ST, though. Is it lowering springs or coil overs?
H&R springs.

You’ve mentioned a couple times that the performance is already lacking, so do take care to make sure that your replacement wheels and tyres are the same weight or less, or else you’ll lose performance by more than you would have anticipated.

Typically, the less expensive the wheel then the heavier it is, and of course if you’re going up two or even three sizes then the effect will be magnified, so it’s worth getting right.

Don’t forget to get the car corner weighted and a geo check after fitting larger wheels and tyres ;)

Typically, the less expensive the wheel then the heavier it is, and of course if you’re going up two or even three sizes then the effect will be magnified, so it’s worth getting right.

Unless we are talking the cheapest of all - steelies! Which are invariably the lightest of all!
This heretic will now leave you all in peace.

Superfragilealloyisshitandcostmeallmydoshes.

Superfragilealloyisshitandcostmeallmydoshes.

That is superb. :)

If in doubt..........

gI7L4jrh.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom