Largest engine ever built

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Great engine! If you go to the manufacturer's website there are more photos of the block including one with a detail of the steps down into the sump!

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Good lord, where do they find such tiny mechanics?

I used to work for Wärtsilä.

108,400bhp @ 104rpm
2pyw4xv.jpg

dear MBClub members

new member here

would it be easy to fit this engine into C180?

thanks for all your advice.

:D

That engine is just showing off. Clearly, the engine in the tug boat was able to pull the container ship, so why not just fit a tug boat engine to the container ship?

I see this engine is a 2-stroke, wouldn't want to be the crewman who gets the job of mixing the oil in with the fuel :D

My current engine is 20 cylinders, 2 turbos, 80 valve and 8.5MW. Bergen gas engine.

I've been inside a 2 stroke diesel, I can't for the life of me remember the make now but it was a 5 cylinder on a container ship. Amazing pieces of engineering.

Dave!

I understand that thet do not use a huge spanner to torque the head nuts down. They put a large bar through holes in the head studs, a hydrulic jack either side and stretch the stud, spin the nut down then release. Brilliant!:D
Thats actually a what we do whenever we tighten a nut or bolt:eek:

What you have is a hydrulic jack with a hole through the centre, then a nut with a shoulder that sits on top of the jack, this is screwed onto the stud.

Then pop a few hundred bar of pressure into the jack (One of our head studs is 1400bar) and it stretches the stud enough to enable you to undo the nut with your fingers. A huge amount of force on these.

Dave!

Amazing piece of engineering!!

What do they use for a starter motor? - I'm guessing something with 5-10,000 HP ??

What do they use for a starter motor? - I'm guessing something with 5-10,000 HP ??

In the test rigs in Finland, the starters were electric

I see this engine is a 2-stroke, wouldn't want to be the crewman who gets the job of mixing the oil in with the fuel :D

No need, it's a diesel so no need for additional lubrication, also the bottom end is lubricated by regular oil as in a normal engine.

On some they use air starter motors, they operate in the same way as a conventional starter motor but use air to drive them.

On other you inject air into the cylinders via a cam and air injector,this blows them over till ignition happens.

Dave!

Hi,

I work at sea as Chief Engineer and have worked on these engines.
The size becomes second nature after a while. Just a big stone crusher.

The engines use an Air start system with the air bottles usually supplying air at 30 bar to turn the engine before the fuel is put on.
A simple desciption of the system isas follows.
There is an engine driven distributer that controls thesupply of pilot air to open each of the starting air valves in the cylinder head to get the correct timing for starting in the desired direction as the engines are reversible for going ahead and astern.
The position of the Fuel pump roller is also altered in relation to the cam for running ahead or astern. Mind you the newest engines don't have a camshaft and use common rail injection with solenoid valves controlled from the flywheel position.

I'm currently in Equador on a 84000 Cub Mtr LPG gas carrier but our engine here is only 13000 BHP at 104 RPM and only 7 cylinder 550mm bore.

The engines run on heavy oil 380 Cst and burned at a temp of about 120 C injected at around 320Bar. we burn about 50 tons of fuel a day at full speed and as heavy oil costs about $600 a ton glad I'm not paying for it.

The cylinders have a seperate lubrication system so no need to mix any oil into the fuel.

There you go a simple description of how it all works.

Cheers for now must go and do a bit more work

Stu.

Mind you the newest engines don't have a camshaft and use common rail injection with solenoid valves controlled from the flywheel position.

The engines run on heavy oil 380 Cst and burned at a temp of about 120 C injected at around 320Bar.

How are the exhaust valves operated if no camshaft and how is the fuel heated.?
Also how is the charge air pressurised?

Hi,
We have a boiler so we use steam to heat the fuel but some ships have electric heaters or thermal oil systems.

We have electric air compressors that will pump up the starting air bottles to 30 bar, we have two air bottles and generally have one in use and one full in reserve. Ususally enough for 10-12 starts of the engine without refilling. So the air bottles can be quite large.

The Exhaust valves are operated by hydraulic pressure onboard here. there is an actuator above thecam follower and hydraulic pipe attached to this which opens the exhaust valve when the oil is displaced by the rotation of the cam.
I haven't worked on a camless engine but I assume there is a common rail hydraulic system similar to the fuel system and the echaust valves are open by solenoids running off the flywheel position.

My next ship will be duel fuel diesel electric with the engines running on Diesel or natural gas and the ship propelled by a large electric motor. Now that is going to be very interesting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom