Largest rear...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BaldGuy

MB Enthusiast
Car
No longer a Benz...
Whats the largest rear tyre I can fit on a 8.5x18 rim on my CLK.. At the moment running 255/35/18

Last edited:
16" "might" be ok on the rear... but will defo not fit over the calipers on the front mate!

What YOU need is some 265's.

I have a set. They come FREE with a set of Mandrus wheels.

xxxx = B-A-L-D ?

You can fit a larger tyre than 255 on a 8.5 wheel however, I do not believe a CLK will have the clearance past 265

Not safely. 255 is the maximum recommended width already for 8.5J rim, and even that is pushing it. Maximum tyre performance would be 235 to 245 on 8.5J.

That's incorrect Nisfan.... This is a standard fitment tyre on the standard rim....

Hi Baldy guy.............255 unless you go for 19inch and then you feel every stone,bump in the road etc etc
Are you wanting the fatter look Greg? do what i did..............spacer 20mm cor!!!

That's incorrect Nisfan.... This is a standard fitment tyre on the standard rim....

What part of my post is incorrect?

Obviously MB have fitted the maximum recommended tyre width to an 8.5J rim. It still means that that is the maximum recommended size for the rim.

Tyre fittings on rims is a calculated design, then dumbed down by end users 'stretching' or 'over tyre-ing' without any consideration on the technical design aspects.
So to answer your question, it depends on which category you sit in. From a technically correct standpoint you already have the max tyre width for an 8.5J rim.

The spacers idea is a good suggestion :thumb:

Over and out.

youd prob get 265 on at a stretch

Not sure your insurers would be too happy.

the 20 and 30mm h&r spacers that bolt to the car, and have hub centric wheel fitment, have tuv approval for some models, i think 202, 203 and some others. they come with a certificate, and if disclosed to the insurance shouldnt cause an issue?

Technically, if correctly designed and fitted, spacers shouldn't be a problem. They do put more stress on wheel bearings though and can lead to premature wear.

WRT insurance, it's really down to the particular company. Some will refuse cover, others increase premium. But you can be 100% certain if not disclosed, you're toast.

Re spacing clk,s

Cheers all.. going the spacer route as suggested by many on another post

Hi Greg did u see my advert for spacers?

I have same size as you with 18-255-35 with 20mm
and on the front with 225 40-18 had 10mm (could go to 12mm)

nice fitment

Sorry to segue this conversation but is there a data sheet for this sort of thing?

I know most of the stats for a rim are fixed but I have heard some of them can accept a range of tyre widths.

I suppose the next question is, is there any merit it? I suspect it will only be in the order of a couple of mils, thinking of putting wider rears on for grip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom