las vegas shooting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Shooter was a local so the Tweeter in chief has stayed silent because it's not a terrorist incident....just the worst shooting in the US this year despite the travel bans.

Wonder what the NRA response will be. "If the 20 victims had been armed they would still have been alive"?

Shooter was a local so the Tweeter in chief has stayed silent because it's not a terrorist incident....just the worst shooting in the US this year despite the travel bans.

Wonder what the NRA response will be. "If the 20 victims had been armed they would still have been alive"?

The Tweeter in Chief will say he condemns all sides equally, the one with the gun and those without....

There was bad...on many sides.

I know we shouldn't be making sarcastic remarks on a day when so many people lost there lives.... but the silence from POTUS is deafening.

I know we shouldn't be making sarcastic remarks on a day when so many people lost there lives.... but the silence from POTUS is deafening.

It's only 6:30am where he is...they probably haven't woken him...

The second amendment has a lot to answer for.
As does the NRA.

With regards to the NRA. I fully expect that they will state, that if all the concert goers had been issued with fully automatic assault rifles, they could have stormed up the hotel and killed the shooter, and themselves as well as any passing helicopter crews, birds, pigeons etc.

It is so wrong to mock. But you just know that this is what is coming down the line. Brace yourselves people. You have been warned.

For those who lost their lives or, have been injured. There is no comfort in learning that their own countrymen will simply espouse more guns and more violence. They cannot see a way out of it.

I lived and worked in the US for many years and made many lifetime friends there. I still recall, all to clearly my very first night in NYC, having been invited out to dinner, my hosts brother was a NYC Police Officer. His advice (and I am not making this up) Never run from a US Cop!! Too fat to chase they will shoot you. Their motto: Ready, Fire, Aim.

Summary
  1. Police say at least 50 people are dead and more than 200 injured
  2. It is the deadliest mass shooting in recent US history
  3. Officers swarmed the Las Vegas strip after the attacker fired on concertgoers
  4. The gunman, 64-year-old local Stephen Paddock, was shot dead
  5. What appeared to be automatic gunfire was heard at Route 91, a country music festival
  6. Pictures from the scene showed people fleeing in terror
  7. Police say they have located two vehicles they were looking for and the gunman's 'companion'
LVMPD

✔@LVMPD

We have located the vehicles in question, and we are confident we have located the female person of interest.

11:37 - 2 Oct 2017

And all POTUS can come up with is :-

Donald J. Trump

✔@realDonaldTrump

My warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting. God bless you!

12:11 - 2 Oct 2017

Is that like saying ----" Tough Luck."

As already said :-

The state of Nevada has some of the most permissive gun laws in the US. It is legal to carry an assault rifle and there is no magazine capacity limit.

There are no purchase permits and blue cards are no longer required.

There is no waiting period mandated for firearm purchases and private gun sales are OK.

When will they ever learn, that it is no longer "Wild West Times" and everyone wants to be a "gunslinger"

...The state of Nevada has some of the most permissive gun laws in the US. It is legal to carry an assault rifle and there is no magazine capacity limit.

There are no purchase permits and blue cards are no longer required.

There is no waiting period mandated for firearm purchases and private gun sales are OK.

When will they ever learn, that it is no longer "Wild West Times" and everyone wants to be a "gunslinger"

Even so.... a fully-automatic rifle is not that easy to get hold off legally, even in the State of Nevada, see also:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Of course fully-automatic rifles are completely prohibited in some other States... but it would be interesting to see if this particular rifle was legally owned by the perpetrator. I.e., it may have been stolen or illegally modified etc.

PS - fully-automatic rifles are illegal in the UK, IIRC since after the Hangerford massacre in 1987.

The problem lies within the law, the American constitution was compiled 200 years ago (different world). There needs to be an administration with the balls to take on the NRA thou it will probably never happen.

DLIzeqpVoAAltH_.jpg
The shooting The Shooting in Las Vegas is the 272nd mass shooting of the year - and Nevada's first in 2017:

Correction: 273rd mass shooting of the year. The 272nd was in Lawrence, KS early Sunday morning.
Gun Violence Archive, a website that tracks incidents and crimes involving guns across the United States, said Sunday night's attack was the 273rd mass shooting in the country this year.

It defines a "mass shooting" as four or more people being shot at the same time or location.

Death Toll now 58 .... now 515 Injured.
We are just observers of how the 2nd Amendment works and how IMHO how fortunate we are not to let everyone have guns.

Just a small edit since I found this reasonable comment :-
""The 2nd amendment did not have in mind automatic weapons.

It was in the context of muskets""

Last edited:
PS - fully-automatic rifles are illegal in the UK, IIRC since after the Hangerford massacre in 1987.

That was semi automatic rifles with the excepton of .22 rimfire.

Ownership of fully automatic weapons by private citizens in the UK was banned in 1937.

The Shooter evidently took his own life in the end- authorities were alerted to which room he was in because the " gunsmoke" from multiple rounds set off the fire alarm system!

This is terrible, if not entirely unexpected. I've been to Las Vegas many times (I got married there) and have always felt safe. I'm sure if you venture into some of the seedier regions after dark you do so at your own risk; but this was at the bottom end of the Strip. However, Americans will never give up their guns voluntarily and you can't mitigate against random nutters. The price you pay. I love the US but I don't think I'd want to live there.

My thoughts are with those who've lost loved ones today.

Gaz

Even if they stopped selling guns tomorrow and had a gun amnesty it would take at least 50 years to come right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom