Laser attack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
Hi,

Haven't found out in the best circumstance (ie travelling way too fast) but for those of you with W202's and a Road Angel Laser head mounted in the same position as mine, I can at least confirm it will detect a Laser Gun being pointed at you from a motorway bridge.

I fear all it has told me is a letter is in the post soon though :(

Travelling at 100 ish +/- a bit. Saw the Enemy on the bridge, braked, altered my course and took cover behind an ML. However my Road Angel alerted me that at that moment the enemy Laser had penetrated my force fields. At that point I was doing a fraction under 80.

We'll see.

OOops!!

You have just become a stastistic. It is predicted that 33% of uk drivers will recieve a speeding ticket in the next 12 months.

You just cant speed anymore!! :(

Anyway it's nice to know the road Angel wasn't a total waste of money. ;)

G., :(

Here's hoping you've escaped.

Thankfully, I've never had my laser alert go off yet. I've even tried testing it by pointing the remotes at it but it seems none of mine use the right frequencies.

S.

Sorry to hear that dude.....

After a lesson tonight , everyone on here who doesnt have a good quality radar detector should get one as a matter of course.

Lets just say a sneeky new mobile position on a dark motorway roadworks and a lot of breaking:devil:

Lets put it this way , If i only had a GPS alert it would have had my bum.

Originally posted by Steve_Perry
I've even tried testing it by pointing the remotes at it but it seems none of mine use the right frequencies.

S.

Got a SKY digi box??

Try the Volume buttons ;)

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
Got a SKY digi box??

Try the Volume buttons ;)
Nope :rolleyes: I'm on nthell digital, the remote for my cable box doesn't work.

S.

G,

Were you doing 80 according to your speedo or according to the RA?

If it's your speedo, then you're pretty safe if they are using the 10% + 2mph rule, as your speedo will be out by 3-5mph, therefore travelling @ 75-77mph.

If it's the RA, then you might possibly be ok, if they use a higher limit (typically 10% + 4mph).

Also note it's a 15 day limit .

I've had quite a few scares recently, where I've been in a similiar position to yourself, and so far so good - all in the clear. But I've had 2 this week, so got a 2 week wait.

Note that these speeds were with the 10% + 2mph, which is only a guideline.

K

P.S. - time to invest in the jammer if that's your usual style of driving.

Wouldnt it be nice if someone could design and make a device that fried lasers.

that reminds me of a story of some traffic cops who thought they would play silly buggers with a fighter jet. :)

They pointed the gun at the plane to get a reading only to find that it had radar jamming on it and rendered their gun useless :)

Hehe :)

Awwww, I thought you were gonna say something like they pointed the laser gun at the plane and the pilots system told them they were locked on laser and possibly under fire so they released their full fire power onto the motorway bridge.
Thats a much better story !!!!

Originally posted by pepe
Awwww, I thought you were gonna say something like they pointed the laser gun at the plane and the pilots system told them they were locked on laser and possibly under fire so they released their full fire power onto the motorway bridge.
Thats a much better story !!!!

you mean this story? It'd be nice to think it is true.......

A report has revealed that two traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident whilst checking for speeding motorists on the A1 road between Oldhamstocks and Grantshouse. Last May, they were using a hand-held radar device to trap unwary motorists on the Edinburgh to London trunk road. One of the unnamed officers used the device to check the speed of an approaching vehicle, and was surprised to find that his target had registered a speed in excess of 300 miles per hour. The 5000 machine then seized up and could not be reset by the bemused PC's. The radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Tornado aircraft in the North Sea, which was taking part in a simulated low-flying exercise over the Borders and Southern Scotland.

Following a complaint by Sir William Sutherland, Chief Constable of the Lothian & Borders Police force to the RAF liaison office, it was revealed that the officers had a lucky escape - the tactical computer on board the aircraft not only detected and jammed the "hostile" radar equipment, but had automatically armed a Sidewinder air-to-ground missile ready to neutralise the perceived threat. Luckily the Dutch pilot was alerted to the missile status and was able to override the automatic protection system before the missile launched.

The Police have so far declined to comment, although it is understood that officers will be advised to point their radar guns inland in future.

Urban myth I'm afraid ....

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/radar.htm

http://www.shartwell.freeserve.co.uk/humor-site/corporate-myths.html

www.vnunet.com/Mole/106468

However, I much prefer the one about the two RAF pilots that were caught speeding in a porsche one night. Copper is parked at the side of the road in the pitch black and suddenly he gets a reading of 150mph+. He couldn't see anything so they set up a road block a few miles down the road and they stop this porcshe. The two RAF pilots had the lights on the porker switched off and were using night vision googles!

Probably Urban myth too ! Sill makes me laugh though.

Simonl, if only you could see me now. Im absolutely crying with laughter. that is class !!! well done. I dont care if its not true.

They do work but…

Koolvin said:
Time for a laser jammer?

At the moment Radar Jammers are banned… go to Jail/collect £xxx pound fine. Laser Jammers are not and do work, BUT! the copper using the Laser will know its your car that's 'blanked' his Laser Guns display, (they work by overloading the receiver and it gives a 000 reading). Unfortunately, the Laser Guns are usually attached to a digital camera so they can provide you with a picture. So, they have a picture of you and a 000 reading printed on it…ooops! You will be charged with "perverting the course of justice" a pretty serious wrap!

Last edited:
vito113 said:
At the moment Radar Jammers are banned… go to Jail/collect £xxx pound fine. Laser Jammers are not and do work, BUT! the copper using the Laser will know its your car that's 'blanked' his Laser Guns display, (they work by overloading the receiver and it gives a 000 reading). Unfortunately, the Laser Guns are usually attached to a digital camera so they can provide you with a picture. So, they have a picture of you and a 000 reading printed on it…ooops! You will be charged with "perverting the course of justice" a pretty serious wrap!

But does that laser jammer, i believe its the LRC100 or something like that, also control garage doors?

Could they charge you if you could prove that you use it for opening your garage door? :confused:

Tan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom