Laser distance measuring tool recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
For architectural photography using a view camera it is important that the camera be front edge be as close to parallel to the building being photographed as possible. Any reasonably priced, range about 15m, accurate and small size / weight ones that people can recommend that I can use on each side of the camera. It doesn't have to cope with bad weather and heavy use.

Thanks!

I have a Bosch PLR15, which as the name suggests has a 15m range. It was pretty cheap and cheerful (under £30 IIRC), but seems to do the job, at least for measuring from wall to wall - quicker than getting out a steel tape measure. It can be a bit stubborn about starting up, taking 2 or 3 goes, but that might just be my one.

PLR 15 | Laser measures | Digital measuring tools | DIYers | Bosch

Cheers,

Gaz

I think I'll do some good old fashioned measuring by paces in the first instance as I realise that 15m might be far too low. I'll return to the subject later when that is sorted I think.

Well Charles most people who want to take pictures of buildings use a tilt shift lens to prevent converging verticals,but I suppose the cameras you are using are unable to use these?

I think I'll do some good old fashioned measuring by paces in the first instance as I realise that 15m might be far too low. I'll return to the subject later when that is sorted I think.

I had a good old-fashioned spirit level I always used with my Master Technika.
Unless we're talking about certain tower in Pisa, buildings tend to be reasonably straight up ...

Seriously though - a good finely etched [square pattern] focusing glass is the best.

I have the spirit level and the focussing glass is fine, if a little dark with an f8 lens (as most wide angles at a sensible price are). But it's to ensure the camera is absolutely square on to the subject.

Reactions: GLK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom