Last Land Rover Discovery rolls off production line

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bob6600

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
End of an era, last Disco was built yesterday

Land Rover Defender Solihull production ends - BBC News

_87995026_papic.jpg

I think you mean defender ;)

Yes lol, don't know why I had Disco in my head lol :fail

Maybe a mod can correct for me, at least I got the link right

I get those two mixed up sometimes as well.

:dk:

Often referred to as Despender (De-spender) by disparagers criticising how much money is spent on them and by me as the Deafener. Both are apt. And true.

For me, the Series 3 109 2 ¼ Petrol Safari was the logical conclusion to the original concept whilst the LR 90/110 should have been improved dramatically by the time it became the Defender 90/110 (1990/91?)

When LR moved to coil springs (circa 84?) for the 90/110, it's a shame they didn't embark on a project to modernise/correct engineering flaws carried over from the earliest LRs i.e. soundproofing, wider cabin, better seating, prevent water ingress, cabin ventilation, prevent chassis and bulked corrosion etc etc. It took then twenty-odd years to come up with all steel doors in answer to galvanic corrosion, for heaven's sake but never offered a properly protected chassis!

It's a shame it has gone in some ways but overall for me (sic), the Defeafener was well passed its use by date, speaking as an ex-owner.

I wonder who'll get to own that very last one? Or will LR keep it for themselves for their museum?

I wonder who'll get to own that very last one? Or will LR keep it for themselves for their museum?

They have already announced that the last one will be kept at part of their 'heritage fleet'.

Quentin Wilson who was there announced he had already tried to buy it but LR refused.

My friend ordered one of the last ones built to essentially keep as an investment he has already had a few LR nuts try to offer him more money then he paid but he has always wanted one since a kid so sunk good money into one of the run out special editions.

To echo comments above they are bloody awful things to drive yes its an historical vehicle but things have moved on drastically since the 40's. Landrover should have updated it over the years rather then flog a dead horse although it has done very well for a dead horse. However they have a cult following along with a ridiculous price to go with it, proper nails fetch good money.

That would explain the retro colour.

I would say 50% of the last 6 month's production were that colour.

Heritage Special Editions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom