Last minute order change from E250 to E350???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drocter

Car
XJ8 4.2 'Cabinet Spec'
I'm days away from confirming an order for a 2012MY E250 CDI Sport 'Edition 125' 7 spd Cabriolet. As I will be ordering Distronic, the price differential between this and a E350 with new new stop/start 265bhp engine is coming to c£1200 after discounting...

I drive approx. 20k a year, so economy is important and I've heard very, very good things about the 250/7speed combo in C Classes. It's just that £1200 for 2 extra cylinders, 61 extra bhp and an extra exhaust pipe does sound very tempting.

I'm wondering what owners of E saloon/estates with the post-September 265bhp E350 are finding in terms of MPG and whether all those niggles with the 231bhp E350's refinement/injector issues have been sorted on the newer engine?

I value performance, but take official MPG figures with a pinch of salt from previous experience. Any thoughts/opinion would be appreciated.

What sort of mpg could you live with?

Judging by some of this forums members the mpg for the 350 CDi is around the mid 40s.

And looking at your car list, I'm amazed that you didn't go for the 350 in the first place....

Close to 50 would be nice, this car's going to be my daily runner, sitting on cruise going up and down the M6, so performance isn't paramount...

Having something economical will help me justify an exotic toy for the evenings and weekends (not that I need much persuasion :) )

I think for only £1200 extra, to me it's a given that you should go for the 350.
You'll easily get that full amount back come resale, if not more...

It will do mid 40's driven considerately but be so much more refined under hard acceleration and offer a wider torque band.

I love the V6, I hate the 7 speed so if you are being shafted with the 7g box, you might as well have an engine to make up for it.

I love the V6, I hate the 7 speed so if you are being shafted with the 7g box, you might as well have an engine to make up for it.

At 2012MY it will have the 7GPlus box, which, according to some on here is a marked improvement over the 7G box.

265 bhp will be a hoot - some of us know, don't we, fellow B boys?:thumb:

At 2012MY it will have the 7GPlus box, which, according to some on here is a marked improvement over the 7G box.

265 bhp will be a hoot - some of us know, don't we, fellow B boys?:thumb:

An improvement or merely an exercise in turd polishing.

Every 7g car I've sampled has some sort of shifting problem. Perhaps I set an exacting standard but given I was happy with the transmission in a ZF equipped Audi S6 I am sure its just the 7g is duff.

Those non rusting Audi's do have some appeal sometimes....(only sometimes though)

313bhp with the new DS box I'm told :devil:

It will be an absolute riot. Imagine that in a C class, effing quick. The C class V6 CDi is usefully more punchy than the E class and I bet past 145mph its not getting limp like my car.

Maybe its just as well, any faster and the paint peels off.

You guys are a bad influence. Now you've not only got me thinking about a 350, but I know if I get one, I'll be 'obliged' to go Brabus D6S on it....and then there's Designo interiors...£££££££££.....

I need to keep reminding myself "daily runner, don't go overboard..daily runner, don't go overboard!"

As a private owner I cannot imagine stepping down after the power and surge that the V6 has. MPG is also good (35 town, 40 on a run - but the OBC I think is 5 mpg over from tank to tank)I drive it hard when safe and MPG still remains high. I drove the old 250cdi with 5 sp and I actually thought it was good, but the sound and feeling that the V6 is obviously much better.

You guys are a bad influence. Now you've not only got me thinking about a 350, but I know if I get one, I'll be 'obliged' to go Brabus D6S on it....and then there's Designo interiors...£££££££££.....

I need to keep reminding myself "daily runner, don't go overboard..daily runner, don't go overboard!"

Forgetting the £1200 cost to upgrade for a minute, say the 250 is 10mpg better than the 350. 10mpg extra over 20,000 miles will add up to a sizeable chunk of money....

Saying that, whenever I drive past a new E-Class and look at the back end to see what engine it has, if it's anything other than the 350 I always feel disappointed and think to myself 'tight sod'.:rock:

This little exert from the above 'buyers regret' always drives me mad...

Buyer's remorse can also be caused or increased by worrying that other people may later question the purchase or claim to know better alternatives.

I should think every time you walk up to it and see the single exhaust pipe, the 250 badge and turn the key you would have wished you went for the 350 to start with...

£1200 is very little to upgrade :)

over 20,000 miles your looking at say...

E250 50mpg? £2451 a year in fuel
E350 40mpg £3064 a year in fuel

No idea if tax, insurance, service would be a little more.

If it were be in your position I'm pretty sure the E350 would be on the order form :)

I should think every time you walk up to it and see the single exhaust pipe, the 250 badge and turn the key you would have wished you went for the 350 to start with...

£1200 is very little to upgrade :)

over 20,000 miles your looking at say...

E250 50mpg? £2451 a year in fuel
E350 40mpg £3064 a year in fuel

No idea if tax, insurance, service would be a little more.

If it were be in your position I'm pretty sure the E350 would be on the order form :)

Tax on the 350CDI is £225 a year after the first year. Insurance difference is about £30 - £50 a year for a 43 yr old,clean licence full no claims. Service plan £30 per month for 3 yrs = £1080 if you get 3 services done but pay when you get them done its about £1500 for normal service assuming no extras.

The 350 is well worth it IMHO I looked at the 250 first but then it still had the previous g'box not the 7 g plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom