Last warranty service snagging list

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisaaaaa

Car
C220 Est 2011 facelift
My car (2011 C220D Estate FL) is coming up to 3 years, and an A service, there are a number of funnies to fix - or at least get logged officially before the end of warranty.

I suppose am jaded by other marque dealers and perhaps MB are much better, but so far they have not impressed, so I want to make sure of my ground before it goes in.

What I don't want is a list of £100+VAT charges, for a list of "no fault found" for everything.

So on this list are any known problems or just non-problems?

Sorry for the long list...

1. Slow to fully establish engine running when restarting after 'stop-start'. One time it started running really roughly, as if on only 3 cyclinders, I had to stop and restart.

2. Rear door sometimes graunches and sticks when closing manually, I have to open and close to reset.

3. Should rear door be closable remotely?

4. MPG gauge goes to 40 mpg on dash, 50 mpg on graph - pointless in C220 - FW update?

5. TMC announcements/dynamic routing setting does not stick, needs to be switched off and back on again.

6. TMC is slow to clear, eg A12 blocked for 3 days in December, clear on Garmin TMC unit.

7. All personal POI's are forgotten randomly (faulty FW or bad SDCard socket).

8. Park assist - is it supposed to do any more than tell me there is a space beside me, manual shows some kind of indication of how to steer (ie guide rather than active)?

9. Built in POIs are out of date (only loaded 2 months ago) - what is very latest map/fw?

10. Any mod for the coolant level sensor giving warning on slopes or when parked 2 wheels on curb (and yes it has the right amount of coolant)

11. Any sign of speed camera bongs from the satnav, before I start hacking holes in the dash to plumb in an alternative?

Thanks

1 I think may depend on how warm the engine is and possibly throttle position/fuelling when engine cuts out.

2 and 3
Don't think the rear door is meant to close remotely-- safety feature. Opening remotely would be inclined to push someone away/ closing might trap them.
Always close the rear door by using the red button on the inside of the tailgate rather than manually. I program it to only open to horizontal or to a height its easy to operate.

8 park assist is just that - for info only

10 don't know of any fix except to park on the flat

the rest can't comment

1 I think may depend on how warm the engine is and possibly throttle position/fuelling when engine cuts out.

Hard to say, the worst problems were when it is cold, but often the system decides not to operate when it is cold, so maybe it is just a temp sensor.

2 and 3
Don't think the rear door is meant to close remotely-- safety feature. Opening remotely would be inclined to push someone away/ closing might trap them.
Always close the rear door by using the red button on the inside of the tailgate rather than manually. I program it to only open to horizontal or to a height its easy to operate.

I feel a bit silly using the power close - and it takes a while to get there while you wait around to see if it has decided to give up and open fully again.

8 park assist is just that - for info only

The online manual for my car shows the [P], space indicator, and then pictures of the system telling you to turn the wheel left and right. I get the [P] bit but not the rest, is that an extra option?
http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manua...4/en/in-depth/index_start.shtml&part=in-depth
It is more a case of getting stuff fixed now, than actually needing the car to tell me how to park.

Ta

Chris

8 Park Assist
I tried mine out just last night with manual on hand and worked flawlessly
Do you get to the part where the arrow points to the side then stop then engage reverse and dash shows you how much and what direction for steering.
3 Rear door
I allways use the button on tailgate to close as I think doing it manually you are fighting against the motor.
4. MPG 40
That is one of my niggles that I think should be fixed.I know its only a guide but would be much better going to 50.

11. Speed camera
I am looking at this the now to see if you can install speed cameras as personal POI as you can do with most tomtom but only got car last week so still working on it.

Re No. 9... that's not a fault. The POI database is simply incorrect.

Our local Shell petrol station was converted to a wine shop 10 years ago. It is still showing on COMAND as a Shell petrol station, in spite of regular map updates (mine is COMAND NTG2.5). There are many other examples.

Now you can want to throw the book at MB citing the Consumer Protection Act and Trading Standards and what have you, I can't advise on that, but on a practical level the most you can realisticly expect from the dealer is an update to latest maps and that's about it - any expectation that they will actually correct the POI database for you unrealistic.

I suspect the same is true with regards the TMC, I find that it in my car is OKeyeesh at best (Waze is a far better system), but you can't really compare it to your Garmin because there are various TMC providers so it possible that MB are not using the same one as Garmin. Again, the latest firmware is the most you can expect.

Said that, without seeing how the TMC in your car compares to other MB cars it is difficult to say if it is actually faulty or not.

Re No. 11... that's not really a warranty related issue as such.

8 Park Assist
I tried mine out just last night with manual on hand and worked flawlessly
Do you get to the part where the arrow points to the side then stop then engage reverse and dash shows you how much and what direction for steering.
I will try it again...

3 Rear door
I allways use the button on tailgate to close as I think doing it manually you are fighting against the motor.
That is adapting to something that does not work properly, it seems maybe mine is not broken, they all just work badly. What will you do when the motor fails, or the battery is low?

4. MPG 40
That is one of my niggles that I think should be fixed.I know its only a guide but would be much better going to 50.
Even 50 is pointless, I average 60 on a run.

11. Speed camera
I am looking at this the now to see if you can install speed cameras as personal POI as you can do with most tomtom but only got car last week so still working on it.
It can be done [eghttp://mb.jack-nicholson.info/support/usage], but it will not give you a warning, it will not zoom in to show them, all pretty primitive really. Then to cap it all on mine it keeps forgetting them, so it locks out the unit for some unknown numbe rof minutes while it loads, and if you stop it, partially loads.

Re No. 9... that's not a fault. The POI database is simply incorrect.
Our local Shell petrol station was converted to a wine shop 10 years ago. It is still showing on COMAND as a Shell petrol station, in spite of regular map updates (mine is COMAND NTG2.5). There are many other examples.
Now you can want to throw the book at MB citing the Consumer Protection Act and Trading Standards and what have you, I can't advise on that, but on a practical level the most you can realisticly expect from the dealer is an update to latest maps and that's about it - any expectation that they will actually correct the POI database for you unrealistic.
It would be better if they just butted out and opened it up to people who can keep up, but then I suspect the point is to gouge money out of customers.

I suspect the same is true with regards the TMC, I find that it in my car is OKeyeesh at best (Waze is a far better system), but you can't really compare it to your Garmin because there are various TMC providers so it possible that MB are not using the same one as Garmin. Again, the latest firmware is the most you can expect.
Said that, without seeing how the TMC in your car compares to other MB cars it is difficult to say if it is actually faulty or not.
I thought there was just one provider, on the side of Classic FM, perhaps they could change. Either way it is irritating to ahve to remember to keep making it active.

Re No. 11... that's not really a warranty related issue as such.
I guess I have a funny view, I have always worked for SW houses that let existing customers bennifit from fixes developed for newer customers, apparently there were no speed cameras becasuse it is illegal in France, but 2013 cars get it!

I got the park assist to do something - so at least it is not broken.

The car is showing an amazing grasp of time, for several days it said 30 days to A1,then it jumped to 25 days, but for a few seconds it decided that it was 30 days till a B1 service.

...I thought there was just one provider, on the side of Classic FM, perhaps they could change. Either way it is irritating to ahve to remember to keep making it active...

iTMC and Trafficlink are owned by iTIS and provide TMC info based on GPS trackers installed in van fleets. This is what Mercedes use and what I have now with my COMAND.

TrafficMaster is owned by the RAC and is based on roadside sensors, this is what my Vauxhall Omega of old came with (factory-fitted as standard with CDX trim level).

They work in different ways, I found TrafficMaster to be more accurate but coverage wasn't good as it covered mostly motorways and some main A roads (most annoyingly the A5 Edgware Road was not covered).

iTMC has better coverage presumably because the GPS vans go everywhere, but I find it less accurate for some reason, perhaps due to delay in collecting and processing the data.

The best by far is Waze which has no central nervous system - brilliantly accurate, and it gets better the more people use it, for obvious reasons.

I guess I have a funny view, I have always worked for SW houses that let existing customers bennifit from fixes developed for newer customers, apparently there were no speed cameras becasuse it is illegal in France, but 2013 cars get it!

I don't disagree with you, it is indeed good practice to provide proactive after sales care, and I am all for it, all I said was that it is not related to warranty.

Last edited:
Well what happened...

1. Slow to fully establish engine...
New FW for fuel pump and in general - now there is a lot less stop-starting, I mean it used to operate within a qtr mile of home in the morning, at the first junction, now it does not.
The loaner was a 2013 E class, and it too was reticent to do any stop-starting.

2. Rear door sometimes graunches...
Greased and reset - still broken

4. MPG gauge goes to 40 mpg...
No change - the new E class went up to 60.

5. TMC announcements/dynamic...
Not sure yet, but noted newer car now uses tom-tom for TMCC.

6. TMC is slow to clear...
Not sure yet

7. All personal POI's are forgotten...
Not since, so maybe, fingers crossed

9. Built in POIs are out of...
Ran out of time so not udated

10. Any mod for the coolant ...
No

11. Any sign of speed camera bongs...
No

The best by far is Waze which has no central nervous system - brilliantly accurate, and it gets better the more people use it, for obvious reasons.

Just had 2 weeks in the US, I have a fully up to date garmin but that ended up in the glove box, waze was brilliant there - except for needing a data connection to plan alternate routes and adverts (ie want a Big Gulp every time you pass a 7-11 :doh:)

Ta

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom