Late W211 or Early W212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Udy

Car
2009 Mercedes Benz S320
Hello Guys, I'm torn between buying a very late W211 or very early W212 and I do need all the advice that I can get from the more knowledgeable/experienced Merc owners. Due to budgetary constraints, I'm looking at 2008 Model W211 or 2009 Model W212.

I've got a few questions; firstly discussions I've seen on this forum and elsewhere suggest that W212 is the more reliable car. Thus, is it worth coughing out an extra £1,000 to go for 2009 Model W212 which at best will be E220 CDI for my budget or go with 2008 Model 211 with the possibility of getting E320 CDI?

Secondly, I'm aware that if I'm going to buy a car that is over 6 years old, the are bound to be issues arising during ownership. But, if I am settling for W211, which engine size will be the most reliable and at the same time give me the best that a prestigious brand can offer.

Thank you in anticipation of your wise counsels

Udy

I'd go for the w212 250cdi if I was you - best comprise of power and economy. As the new e class (w213?) is probably due next year you would be only one incarnation behind.

Besides from what I have read on here the w211 is not without its faults, but the later cars seem to be better built?

As a rule of thumb a facelift generally fixes most common 'faults' so in your case I'd go for the W211, you'll get a lot more for your money and the quality of finish is higher in the W211 as opposed to the early W212 IMO.

Go for the Avantgarde model unless you want something comfortable over 'sportiness'.

Generally agree with the comment above in terms of buying late model variants, however the 212 does appear to be an exception to the rule.

Other than the well reported injector issues (which should now be sorted on any car currently on the road), the only other common issue is early water pump failure (mine went at 90k miles, 3years and 3 months old).

Lots of people prefer the look, finish of the 211. Personally I don't. I like the functionality and presentation of the 212 interior, as well as the exterior styling. Though ultimately I wouldn't make my decision on such a subjective aspect.

From my perspective, the build quality and safety features of the newer 212 are the trump cards in this decision.

Also nothing wrong with 220 diesel. 400Nm and 170bhp is plenty for a car that should be driven with comfort in mind.

As mentioned, get the Advantgarde if comfort is the primary objective.

I've owned my S212 for 5 and a bit years from new, currently on 132k. The car looks and drives as new (I am quite obsessive with maintenance and regular detailing), and with the exception of the water pump failure at 90k, the car has been faultless.

My standard recommendation in this sort of scenario, however, is not to get too concerned with the model, and to test drive as many cars as possible within your budget. You can then ensure your decision is based on condition rather than anything else, including 211 or 212. My advise would be that condition should always be the primary consideration when buying second hand.

Regards, Neil

Last edited:
doesn't the 250 cdi lump suffer with plastic waterpump failure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom