Later 124 series - what kind of bonnet badge is correct?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CabrioDave

Car
A124 E220 Cabriolet
I have a 1995 (built late 1994) E220 Cabriolet - a "second facelift" A124. On Christmas Day I managed to chamois the bonnet and catch my coat sleeve on the "gunsight" type Mercedes-Benz star badge, and break it off.

Got a fake version for £11.49 on eBay. The parts visible above the bonnet looked quite nice, but the locking mechanism under the bonnet was poorly machined and the mounting spring seriously weak. Impossible to fit. Got an instant refund, though.

Mercedes Edinburgh are also selling similar but genuine on eBay, and wanted to know VIN number, to supply correct badge. OK, but they then say it should be the plain chrome version.

The one I had before was the blue enamel "crest" version ... and I rather liked that!

QUESTION: which version is "correct" for my car? And will the badge from other series fit?

I have two here and they are both blue.

Try a breaker...?

Never had anything other than blue!

My 96 coupe was blue. I have a feeling the later all silver one whilst it fitted had a smaller diameter "roundel"

Thanks for the quick replies, chaps. I shall be more confident now to insist on the blue version.

Just be aware some or many original parts for the 124 are now NLA but they do do parts that are very close to the original design. Some are actually "improved".
This may be one of those parts? If it is a breaker may be best....

My w124 is plain silver 1989 year .

Yours is a pre facelift, the OP's is post with the star on the bonnet not the grille.:thumb:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread