Latest GCSE results

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
First off I am NOT criticising any of our children's excellent results.

I congratulate them on their achievements.

We have a few educators on this forum so please take the following as more of a question.

Schools only allow students to sit exams if the school thinks the pupil has a very good chance of passing?

If this is the case then if the worse school in the country only enters one student for the top grading and that student manages to get an 'A' grading......... Has the school achieved a 100% pass rate or am I missing something? I accept this might be an over simplification, but is there, or is there not any vetting taking place?

When these results are published can we find out how many students there are in that specific year and then can we see how many of this total number actually got grade 'A' in both English Language and Mathematics?

For a number of years I have been appalled at the very poor standard of both spelling and mental arithmatic but instead of confronting this huge problem it would appear that modern exams totallly ignore this issue and allow all sorts of aids?

I accept that the top levels at our schools are teaching to a higher standard than perhaps it was many years ago, but am I convinced that the average standard of education has improved?

Ask the average 13 year old to spell necessary, or beginning, ask them what 13 x 12 is and do not expect an instant reply.

John

appalled at the very poor standard of both spelling and mental arithmatic

Sorry John, couldn't resist :devil:

PS yes you're right, schools will enter candidates into the papers they feel they can get a grade at but there are different levels of paper too, foundation, intermediate and advanced, they also pick and choose the examination board to suit their population, look at the "International GCSE" papers for example which allow for candidates where English is not their native tongue giving an advantage to those where it is. "Lies, damn lies and statistics!".

Our eldest has just had the results of the three GCSE's she took 1 year early. She sits the other 9 next year along with everyone else in her class. She got two A*'s and an A. Chuffed to bits for her!

I promised her £100 for each A* she got :eek: I might be looking at the thick end of £1100:eek:

That's fantastic!! Super results. Fingers crossed she costs you a mint next year ;)

Our eldest has just had the results of the three GCSE's she took 1 year early. She sits the other 9 next year along with everyone else in her class. She got two A*'s and an A. Chuffed to bits for her!

I promised her £100 for each A* she got :eek: I might be looking at the thick end of £1100:eek:

Well done that girl. That's the best way to fleece Daddy :)

Ask the average 13 year old to spell necessary, or beginning, ask them what 13 x 12 is and do not expect an instant reply.

John

Wouldn't get one from me either.

B grade GCSE Maths and C grade English Lit and Language.

My maths was better then than it is now. If you don't use it, you loose it. Likewise I don't write anything much, certainly nothing that goes beyond my eye without the aid of a spell checker (apart from on forums!).

Likewise I haven't done any integration or differentiation since being at college. Thank goodness.

You think it as a child, but as an adult you realise you really don't need to know half what you are taught.

Anyway, my point is if examination methods are changing it could be for the better. No point having exams out of touch with a modern world.

No worries, at her age it is only right that you start to teach her about real world economics. After a few wise words on taxation, fiscal management, spending quotas and inflation you should be able to get away with slipping her no more than £60.

No worries, at her age it is only right that you start to teach her about real world economics. After a few wise words on taxation, fiscal management, spending quotas and inflation you should be able to get away with slipping her no more than £60.

Now that's just wicked :devil: :devil: and a brilliant plan :devil: :devil:

Haha! They are coming thick and fast now! Sorry, Graham, I couldn't resist.

:D

Just offering a differnt view to John's. I think the days of reciting times tables are long gone.

I'm not saying it's not good to be quick with maths in your head. Just that I suspect someone who failed a GCSE Maths exam could easily later work in an environment where they become lightening with figures. All about applying what you need to, when you need to.

Just offering a differnt view to John's. I think the days of reciting times tables are long gone.

I'm not saying it's not good to be quick with maths in your head. Just that I suspect someone who failed a GCSE Maths exam could easily later work in an environment where they become lightening with figures. All about applying what you need to, when you need to.

As long as you have the basics and understand the basic principles you can get by. It becomes frightening when you see people, not just kids, faced with a very basic mathematical probem without having a clue where to begin.

There have been a number of studies that show for example that a scary number of people don't know 50% is the same as 1/2 :crazy: . I might struggle with quadratic equations, but given a few minutes to think about it and I could prob get through, but as it's not something I use on a day to day baisis, I'm not going to worry. However, not be able to have a rough calculation on a basic percentage calculation I find incredible.

The days of being able to do mental arithmatic are indeed long gone and it saddens me that we just accept it.

If a till breaks down in a shop it is quite common for the assistant to not be able to work out how much change to give when making a purchase and the system comes to a halt? That is what mental arithmatic is about, and there are obviously countless other examples, but as Graham says..... what's the point?

Ask the average teenager how long your garden is and the chances are you will get a blank stare.

If a product is sold by weight:

£4.80p per kilo and I want 250 grams, how much is that? The average 13 year old will be lost without a calculator, but what's the point?

We get the society we deserve.

Edukayshun dyed a sloe deaf.

Learning tables is not just about learning something parrot fashion, that would be quite wrong, learning is about educating.

As long as you have the basics and understand the basic principles you can get by. It becomes frightening when you see people, not just kids, faced with a very basic mathematical probem without having a clue where to begin.

Are you serious, Pammy? I'm impressed! I did A-Level Maths and A-S level Pure Maths and then studied engineering at university but not only would I struggle with a quadratic equation, I can't actually even remember what one is exactly.

A friend of mine has a PhD in Chemistry. A mutual's friend's daughter asked him to help her with her A level chemistry homework and he hadn't got a clue.

Personally, I blame too much cheap minced beef in all those student curries...

Philip

Last edited:
A very well done to "mini Alfie". You must be chuffed to bits and a year early to boot. A bright future ahead I suspect.

Question is "can she re code comand yet..?";)

Seriously - Well done.. Lets all feel sorry for Alfies wallet..! with 5 kids of my own, eldest one at 15, I'm off to see a financial advisor.:) :)

I don't know that I agree so far as your comments to my origianl post John, but....

If a till breaks down in a shop it is quite common for the assistant to not be able to work out how much change to give when making a purchase and the system comes to a halt?

So if this is the case and said person whips out their mobile happily working out the correct total, deducting your 15% discount and giving you the correct change via the help of the calculator, where is the issue?

Anyone that uses a calculator for basic arithmatic will realise it takes longer and learn. Permitting them in an exam if fair enough to me.

Well done that girl. That's the best way to fleece Daddy :)

Compared to the fees over the years, the £1,100 is small change.

Just hope she can replicate it next year!

Annoyingly her younger sister has already mentioned that she 'trusts I will offer her the same':eek: I really should have thought a bit more about this before I made that initial offer.:eek:

Annoyingly her younger sister has already mentioned that she 'trusts I will offer her the same':eek: I really should have thought a bit more about this before I made that initial offer.:eek:

Think yourself lucky she has not factored in inflation......:devil:

Are you serious, Pammy? I'm impressed! I did A-Level Maths and A-S level Pure Maths and then studied engineering at university but not only would I struggle with a quadratic equation, I can't actually even remember what one is exactly.

A friend of mine has a PhD in Chemistry. A mutual's friend's daughter asked him to help her with her A level chemistry homework and he hadn't got a clue.

Personally, I blame too much cheap minced beef in all those student curries...

Philip

great but could you take out a vehicle check point at 200 metres....with a kipper and a calculator.....not that you would ever have to.:crazy:

TBH...with all these great results have we enough jobs to go round ....we still need s**t shifters .... flag layers and thoise who just like the sound of signing on ....mature students now theres a good one ...... some may be disappointed after all that effort ..... I find the promises of a career a bit shallow for some as they are led to believe they will become Company Directors after one week's hard graft of opening the company mail....just go to any school reunion .............but well done to all .....you're more than welcome to the rat race and these days the kids are actually starting off in a 3 wheeler with 3 flat tyres and a blown head gaskit ....but no rus :D

Last edited:
So if this is the case and said person whips out their mobile happily working out the correct total, deducting your 15% discount and giving you the correct change via
:) I'm afraid we live on different planets. The children that have done well getting their excellent grades deserve recognition, but I have NEVER seen a till cashier do what you have suggested. Clearly you have some very adaptable shop assistants in your part of the woods and as usual we will have to agree to disagree.

I strongly believe the average youngster should have a basic ability to carry out the most simple of mental arithmatic tasks. Should calculators be banned at GCSE level and then introduced as students go onto further education, thus providing a firm foundation on which they can then progress?

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom