latest maps for NTG5*2?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

columb

Car
W212
latest maps for NTG5*1?

Hello,

What are the latest maps for the NTG5*1? They were NOT upgraded during the last service (which in my books should be standard procedure!) and the version I have is V2.1 2014/2015.

Also, how do I make Mercedes to update maps during initial 3 years?

Cheers
Chris

Last edited:
My stealership were very embarrassed when they quoted me 2 hours labour to update my comand maps in my 2010 C207. I politely declined after falling off my chair, and told them I will use a device called a smartphone and google maps if I get lost. They responded by saying a lot of people are not taking the option to upgrade.

I dont know if the guys at Comand can do it cheaper?

bh13coupe,

Map updates are free for the first 3 years and should be done during service!

Cheers
Chris

bh13coupe,

Cheers
Chris

in that case Chris, get that closed off ASAP if your car fits in that window, unfortunately my car is 6 years old and chargeable so I declined. :thumb::thumb:

My stealership were very embarrassed when they quoted me 2 hours labour to update my comand maps in my 2010 C207. I politely declined after falling off my chair, and told them I will use a device called a smartphone and google maps if I get lost. They responded by saying a lot of people are not taking the option to upgrade.

I dont know if the guys at Comand can do it cheaper?

Yes of course we can ;)

Hello,

What are the latest maps for the NTG5*1? They were NOT upgraded during the last service (which in my books should be standard procedure!) and the version I have is V2.1 2014/2015.

Cheers
Chris

NTG5 maps are very expensive. Circa £400!

I would urge everyone with an NTG 5 vehicle to have their maps updated under the three year programme as often as they can!

Hi,

I guess they are trying to get some money back after buying HERE. Mind you, HERE is free on all mobile platforms and it's quite good. Only time will tell what will happen to the in-car navigation...

Back to my problem:

What is the latest version?
Can I just drive up to the dealer and request an update?

Cheers
Chris

At the last service at Waterhouse Chelmsford in March, I enquired about the map update, and they suggested I leave it till nearer the end of the warranty, so it went in Tuesday just gone. Took around 3 hours and the map says it is 2015 / 2016. Warranty expries on my car mid July.

bh13coupe,

Cheers
Chris

Map updating is free for 3 years with COMAND but there is no requirement to have the car serviced at the same time. It is a stand alone item. What if 3 updates become available in 3 months, would you expect to get 3 services for your car, of course not.

Hi,

I guess they are trying to get some money back after buying HERE. Mind you, HERE is free on all mobile platforms and it's quite good. Only time will tell what will happen to the in-car navigation...

Back to my problem:

What is the latest version?
Can I just drive up to the dealer and request an update?

Cheers
Chris

Indeed, Here moving to the German car industry seems to create some confusion and discontinuity for MB maps updates. Cannot find any information about the NTG5 (W222) from the MB sites, like this (new models):
Navigation

Also the pdf is quite outdated, a March 2016 release.

Did you (or someone else) figure out the current NTG5 maps release?

Map updating is free for 3 years with COMAND but there is no requirement to have the car serviced at the same time. It is a stand alone item. What if 3 updates become available in 3 months, would you expect to get 3 services for your car, of course not.

Right, except that I think there is some "small print" stating "only two free updates per year".

Hello,

Thanks for all of the updates. I went to Mercedes dealer as my previous map was absolute rubbish (for example *IN GERMANY* it was requesting me to leave motorway - A 2 that is! - jut to rejoin it on the same exit! Done it once - my bad for not paying attention - but SatNav tried to pull this trick on me few more times.

Anyway, got the latest which is 2015/2016 - as per PDF linked - and that helped a bit and I can see some changes. It took just over 3h to have car updated. I'm not sure if only maps were updated or COMAND as well.

To be honest I quite like this satnav. But I'm not going to pay €350 for maps or £55/year for TomTom traffic (which was really good in Europe) but it seems crap in for example Exeter.

Those prices are out of this world - especially as Mazda charges around £30/year for 4 updates and I'm really surprised that people just accept Mercedes map updates prices...

And don't let me start on the thing that in 2016 we still can't just use on-line maps like in Audi or we need send a car to the dealer for 3+ hours! I mean seriously? To update maps?

Cheers
Chris

Could do with updating mine, really. But hey, if I am unsure the Garmin in glove box is used (not whilst in the glove box)...and that is fully updated for, err, free :)

And don't let me start on the thing that in 2016 we still can't just use on-line maps like in Audi or we need send a car to the dealer for 3+ hours! I mean seriously? To update maps?

NTG5 on a W222 used to have on-line Google maps but all Google services were discontinued, probably because of MB moving to Here maps and Google sees them a competitor. I assume an on-line version will be reintroduced later, using Here services.

Anyway, many cheap cars already have free maps updates. I think Skoda was one, you can download the maps update from internet and then update the car with a USB stick. They should build the database differently to allow small on-line fixes (the complete database is too big for on-line updates). Currently the latest maps are already quite outdated immediately when released.

NTG5 in a W212

I bought a MY2016 E220 Bluetec demonstrator which went in for it's annual service and the updates weren't done because it takes so long and I was waiting. It's booked in for collection and an update of the Comand software and maps on Thursday. However I've found that if I had Comand Online which means a suitable SIM is in the Comand unit then I could download the latest maps onto a USB memory stick and update it. The download time would be academic if it's done in the background and I could connect a battery charger if having the power on for a time was an issue.
However I can't do it on mine and the map prices are ridiculous so I'll be getting one of those CD slot car mounts for my phone and do sat nav, with traffic all for free as I've got to have the phone anyway.
MB would save themselves a lot of time if they were to make them all user updatable.

I bought a MY2016 E220 Bluetec demonstrator which went in for it's annual service and the updates weren't done because it takes so long and I was waiting. It's booked in for collection and an update of the Comand software and maps on Thursday. However I've found that if I had Comand Online which means a suitable SIM is in the Comand unit then I could download the latest maps onto a USB memory stick and update it. The download time would be academic if it's done in the background and I could connect a battery charger if having the power on for a time was an issue.
However I can't do it on mine and the map prices are ridiculous so I'll be getting one of those CD slot car mounts for my phone and do sat nav, with traffic all for free as I've got to have the phone anyway.
MB would save themselves a lot of time if they were to make them all user updatable.

But your map updates in a 2016 car are free!

But your map updates in a 2016 car are free!

True, and for another two years, then it's silly money and I'm already losing the car for a day to have the updated map and software. The TomTom traffic is included but doesn't seem to work, presumably as mine doesn't have the SIM.

I've just picked up my E220 Bluetec, (registered Jan 2016). It shows the map version as 2015/2016 (V4.0) EUROPE
Is that up to date?
Cheers

Map version number

I've just picked up my E220 Bluetec, (registered Jan 2016). It shows the map version as 2015/2016 (V4.0) EUROPE
Is that up to date?
Cheers

That's exactly the version that was installed on my MY2016 E220 on the 29th of September so I would think that must be the correct version.

latest maps for NTG5*1?

Hello,

Cheers
Chris
Hi Columb

I appreciate this thread was a long time ago, but it's very relevant to me, as I've purchased a late '15 W212 with 5.1 and map version 2.1. I took the car to my dealership and they took 3 hours to update the maps (or so they said). I didn't check the version until I got home and was very annoyed to find they hadn't updated it at all. This despite giving me a VeDoc letter stating the version is now 6.0 2016/7 and a Licence Key. They were adamant they had done the job (whilst i walked around Nottingham for three hours!) until I sent them a photo of the monitor showing the current date and version number... 2.1!
I thought the update was by SD card, but they said it was a DVD. I'm not really sure about this.
Still waiting for them to ring me with news they have the latest maps and I can book in. Or is there a way I can do this myself (I have the six digit key code) before I go insane!!
BR Colin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom