Latest mod: new wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyer

MB Enthusiast
Car
Ford Mustang GT
Picked up a set of 17" staggered alloys off a 209 CLK500 last week (the reason for the Windsor trip). They were supposed to have been "as new", with delivery mileage only. Unfortunately, after I had left the seller's house, I noticed this (they were in black cotton bags, presumably what his Brabus alloys had come in:

wheel1.jpg

More than a little gobsmacked :crazy: . He has acknowledged that the damage was done before I picked them up and has offered to pay for the repairs. They were refurbed last week at Pro Clean in Prescot (not entirely happy with the refurb, but that's another story!)

Anyway, here's how they look on my 208 (hoping to take better pictures at Bala at the weekend):

clk12.jpg

clk13.jpg

clk14.jpg

clk15.jpg

Shude, you weren't far off!

I'm made up with them. Definite improvement on the standard alloys (which had corroded badly) and makes the car look loads better. Only problem is I now have Michelin Pilot Sports and not the brilliant Goodyear F1s that are on my old alloys (now relegated to winter use). Will have to see how they handle, but fairly impressed so far.

Got a bonus with my insurers, Norwich Union. As they are Merc alloys, no extra charge. Yes! :bannana: My brake calipers now need painting, but after spending several hours on Saturday with a wire brush on them, I may leave that for a while :p .

Cheers

Andrew

They look really good Andrew, no wonder your pleased!

Shame about the hasstle with the damage, especially as you weren't expecting it.

Looking very good, congrats! :)

Thanks chaps - we'll see how long the metal dust caps last (the last set was 3 days :crazy: ) .

Wheelie: Hmm, yes please :D , but comand is next ... and Road Angel ... and :D

Cheers

Andrew

Those wheels look spot on. Congrats! btw: how do you give your calipers a makeover, what do you need??? - mine are looking a little tired.

Wheelie: Hmm, yes please :D , but comand is next ... and Road Angel ... and :D

Slightly OT for this thread... but having bought Road Angel, and already owning an iPAQ PDA, I can get Sat Nav by using the GPS output from the Road Angel, and getting some mapping software for my iPAQ... Hence saving the rather large amount of money that I had intended to spend on a Comand install. Will post some pics once its done.

Simon.

simonl: I was in Halfords the other day looking for VHT paint for the rear silencer (after our discussion a couple of months ago) and brake caliper paint. They only had red, blue or yellow. I want black, possibly silver (the standard calipers are weedy and I don't want them standing out, unlike the Nova I saw the other day with the rear brake *drums* painted red :confused: ).

I bought the black VHT paint, and I think I'm going to use that. I've just used a wire brush on them (spent hours and got absolutely filthy). I then sprayed them with Brake Cleaner which got rid of all the dust. Next stage will be sandpaper and then paint them with a steady hand. It would be a lot easier if they were dismantled, but as I have *no* idea how do to that, I'll paint them in situ.

Give them a clean with a wire brush first though; it makes a big difference :D .

sym: I noticed R/A has that output, but as I only have a Palm Vx (mono screen), that's a no-goer for me. Going with comand; I just need to source a MB or Becker cd-changer at reasonable money (£350+ new!)

Cheers

Andrew

Cheers Andrew. I would like red myself but mine are probably a bit on the weedy side too.

heh, it never ceases to amaze me what Nova boys get up to :p - bright red drums - niiiice!!!

I'll wait till I can scrounge some drive/garage space for a day - don't fancy doing that on the street.

Hey, if I had the money I'd have a nice set of red Brembos :D , but, alas ... The brakes on the new 209 CLK500 look ace, really chunky, mine ... don't :p , so subtlety is the answer :)

Cheers

Andrew

Was at the stealer this morning. A CLK500 Cabriolet was being delivered. Deep metallic blue (Jasper blue). Grey callipers with "Merecedes-Benz" in white corp font. Looked great. Someone's going to be smiling this week :D

Hamerite is also good for brake calipers, you can get smoothrite which is possibly better looking.

I done my wifes fiesta, because it easy to clean them prior to changing pads etc. It really is good stuff and it is heat resistant aswell.

I gave you credit Shude :D . You did a top job mate :p .

Grey callipers with "Merecedes-Benz" in white corp font.

I'd insist on calipers with the name spelt correctly ... :D

Cheers

Andrew

Originally posted by Flyer
I gave you credit Shude :D . You did a top job mate :p .
NP :)
Originally posted by Flyer
I'd insist on calipers with the name spelt correctly ... :D
Don't you know anything Andrew? "Merecedes-Benz" is the Mexican non-union equivalent supplier :p ;) :D

LOL! I was trying to think of a witty reply, but I can't and I'm under a deadline (VBA anyone?) so I'll have to let this one pass. :D

Cheers

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom