Latest Nav Updates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

QuattroRS6

Car
GLS350d V6 AMG Line G-Tronic
Any recommendations for getting the latest Nav update for a 2016 GLS?
$tealers only or is anyone else selling them?
Thanks!

If you have audio 20 then you can get an sd card with 3 years live traffic for £99 from Mercedes or you can get cheap ones from *bay with out traffic.
But if going that route you need to make sure you get the correct card as they changed the software mid 2017 and the newer one is not backward compatible.

Thanks. I’ll check with MB.
My car is fitted with COMMAND/ HK Sound.

Last edited:
I am assuming your 2016 X166 car is the facelift (GLS), if so then you can get the maps for your COMAND Online NTG5*1 here:

Or, some dealers offer it for £99, in which case that's your best option - check with your local dealer.

Alternatively, you can activate Apple CarPlay / Android Auto and use Waze / Apple Maps / Google Maps:

Hi, yes it's the FL GLS.
Spoke to a dealer this morning. £130 all in for the update. Not a 3-year plan, just a single update.
I'm using Waze via Carplay but the iPhone has to be wired in which is ok, just not perfect.
I don't think I'll update the Nav. Doesn't seem worth it as Waze is far more dynamic and up to date.
Cheers :)

I find that the navigation software on Waze is not as good as COMAND, the response is slow (the car's location on the map slightly lags which makes it difficult to see the next turn when there's a series of close turns), and the satellite reception is not as good, but overall Waze is still the better product.

The maps are always up-to-date, as are the speed limits and speed cameras (and given the frequent changes in road layout and lane closures around London, real-time map updates are a must).

Additionally, you get Live Traffic for free.

So I tend to use Waze in town, and COMAND when driving on Motorways.

I find that the navigation software on Waze is not as good as COMAND, the response is slow (the car's location on the map slightly lags which makes it difficult to see the next turn when there's a series of close turns), and the satellite reception is not as good, but overall Waze is still the better product.

The maps are always up-to-date, as are the speed limits and speed cameras (and given the frequent changes in road layout and lane closures around London, real-time map updates are a must).

Additionally, you get Live Traffic for free.

That's fair enough. I do agree though, at times Waze isn't in sync with the vehicle and loss of signal can be an issue at a decisive turn or junction.

The other pending item is getting the reverse sensor audible sounds activated well before I hit the RED lights. I've been told that only a dealer can adjust the sensitivity. If that's the case then I may get them both done at the same time to save a re-book. Is it true though?

"Only the dealer can" means that STAR is required, at this point I wouldn't take the car to the dealer, but to www.comandonline.co.uk, where Alfie and Richard can carry-out various other mods at the same time (as well as update firmware etc).

Which dealers do the SD card for £99. All 3 of my locals want over £400!!!

The cost of the SD-Card is £499 if the car never had the Garmin Map Pilot activated before.

Subsequent Update SD-Cards are £99.

If your car had Garmin Map Pilot before, explain to the parts counter at the deer that you are looking to buy an 'Update SD-Card' and not the original option.

The contents of the SD-Card, BTW, is the same in either case, it's the initial activation process that is different.

If you have audio 20 then you can get an sd card with 3 years live traffic for £99 from Mercedes or you can get cheap ones from *bay with out traffic.
But if going that route you need to make sure you get the correct card as they changed the software mid 2017 and the newer one is not backward compatible.
Can you please expand on the incompatibility issue. Thanks

The cost of the SD-Card is £499 if the car never had the Garmin Map Pilot activated before.

Subsequent Update SD-Cards are £99.

If your car had Garmin Map Pilot before, explain to the parts counter at the deer that you are looking to buy an 'Update SD-Card' and not the original option.

The contents of the SD-Card, BTW, is the same in either case, it's the initial activation process that is different.
Thanks I'll try that line of inquiry.

Thanks I'll try that line of inquiry.
You could also come armed with the part number (in case the parts chap denies all knowledge of the existence of an update SD-Card). You can work it out from the ads on eBay.

I will mark thanks.
The part number A218 906 29 03 from my original 2018 card provided with the car (V10) doesn't seem to be replicated on any UK site only in Germany!
Does the part number change with year? Or have I got a German card?
The build data for my car shows sdcard provided and activated?
Maybe this has something to do with why I have had no traffic for 2 years!!

I will mark thanks.
The part number A218 906 29 03 from my original 2018 card provided with the car (V10) doesn't seem to be replicated on any UK site only in Germany!
Does the part number change with year? Or have I got a German card?
The build data for my car shows sdcard provided and activated?
Maybe this has something to do with why I have had no traffic for 2 years!!
The part number for the SD-Card changes with each version (roughly once a year).

The part number is also specific to the car's model (e.g. W218).

Your 2018 card might not show online and on eBay because there's not much demand for older versions (given the relatively low cost of the latest version).

Check on eBay for 'Mercedes Garmin v14 W218'.

Me too. I use Waze for short journeys if I need to know when I'll get to a destination I've been to before, and which way to go to get there quickly. I use COMAND for long journeys where I don't necessarily know the destination or alterative routes.

Spoke to a dealer this morning. £130 all in for the update. Not a 3-year plan, just a single update.
References to 3 years is probably for an "over the air" traffic update subscription, and is separate from map updates - you can have one without the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom