Latest Ntg 4.5 map updates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How can I find out which version of NTG is in my car? I would like to have Apple car play rather than using the installed software but I suspect that won't be possible.

How can I find out which version of NTG is in my car? I would like to have Apple car play rather than using the installed software but I suspect that won't be possible.

If your C220d Sport Premium Plus is the pre-faclift model (2014-2018), then it will have COMAND Online NTG5*2, and you'll need additional hardware fitted if you want to add Apple CarPlay / Android Auto:

If your car is the facelift model (2019 onwards), then it will have COMAND NTG5.5, and it may be possible to activate Apple CarPlay / Android Auto without fitting third-party hardware - contact Comand UK with your VIN for details.

.................... If they don't release new maps again, I am not going to update mine.
I guess that is a given.... ;)

I don’t see the need for the most upto date maps.

We are still running 2016 maps on the Becker in my wife’s car. In 2015, we did 10 weeks of roadtrips in NZ, USA & Iceland with a 2008 TomTom and never got lost.

If the installed maps in both our cars did not have the exact destination, they would get us pretty close and then we could use Waze, Google Maps or one of the many others for the last 50 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s way more than I pay for a year with my mobile.
As mentioned in my previous post, you’d only need the phone in cases where your car GPS cannot find the destination. SatNav maps are always going to be out of date from the minute you update them.

Sorry for the thread hijack....

Seeing @alzieboy (love the GSD) and @knighterrant successfully upload the SD card maps, I think I'll go this route too as it's annoying I can't use navigation anywhere round the new A14 as it just shows me in the fields!

Excuse my naivety, but is there a risk to overwriting/compromising an ECU remap doing this? Sorry for the daft, paranoid question 😬

Google maps is far superior always up to date and £0.00
Smartphones have revolutionised personal navigation and the recognition of that by the automotive industry is their incorporation of Apple Carplay and Android Auto in their cars.

However, the Achilles heel of smartphone navigation using Google Maps is the patchy network coverage and network saturation issues that we suffer in many areas of the UK. A dedicated GPS receiver (GPSR) still has that as an advantage.

The real advantage of a dedicated GPSR in an automotive application is when it is integrated with other aspects of the car's driving systems such as adaptive intelligent cruise control where terrain and junction information mean that the cruise control can effectively make anticipatory responses rather than just reactive ones. This is becoming increasingly true of EV's where the integrated sat-nav data is used to inform the car's control systems to maximise range.

Sorry for the thread hijack....

Seeing @alzieboy (love the GSD) and @knighterrant successfully upload the SD card maps, I think I'll go this route too as it's annoying I can't use navigation anywhere round the new A14 as it just shows me in the fields!

Excuse my naivety, but is there a risk to overwriting/compromising an ECU remap doing this? Sorry for the daft, paranoid question 😬
Unfortunately the latest available NTG4.5 update still doesn’t include the A14 changes from the A1 going East.

I can’t be certain about your ECU remap question, but I wouldn’t have thought that there was any link.

As mentioned in my previous post, you’d only need the phone in cases where your car GPS cannot find the destination. SatNav maps are always going to be out of date from the minute you update them.
Sat nav updates are also useful for the journey. Major road revisions can send you a long way off course, which is always recoverable but still a PITA.

Unfortunately the latest available NTG4.5 update still doesn’t include the A14 changes from the A1 going East.

I can’t be certain about your ECU remap question, but I wouldn’t have thought that there was any link.
Thanks a lot.

+1, for having grief on new A14. Signage on the junctions is ridiculous and if you are driving from NE of Huntingdon and want to go South on A1, you can end up nowhere near your intended route. Worked out a route for it last year, hopefully it is better now. Whichever numpty designed/planned the routing/junctions/signage should be shot.

I always have a quick look at online route planning so that I know in advance what to expect on any longer journey and plan accordingly. I don’t jump in the car and hope the satnav will get me there. ;)
So do I. Unfortunately, the longer the journey the more the opportunities for things to change along the way. On Friday afternoon, for instance, I was driving up the A1 to Yorkshire along with a few thousand others! On finding myself in yet another section of A1 car park the lady in the dashboard suggested a change in route.

What she didn’t know was that shortly beforehand been an incident on the roundabout just off the A1, leading the police to close part of it. So when this numpty missed the intended turn off and wanted to circumnavigate the roundabout for another attempt, plod said no. All I could do was head off towards York.

The only option available to me was to find somewhere to turn around in order to get back to the roundabout for another go. But unknowingly to me (and dashboard lady) the aforementioned incident was greater than anticipated and we watched in dismay as cones were dropped to bar our progress to the roundabout.

We were directed back South on the A1 and then onto the M1 for 6 miles before being able to turn around. At least we were able to see how heavy the traffic was that we were going to have to join!

After an eternity (well, about half an hour) we reached the exit for that roundabout again. Nothing was blocking the exit, so with fingers crossed we headed back up for another attempt to take the suggested alternative route. Thankfully I got it right this time and we were able to enjoy an almost empty road running parallel to the A1. We later crossed the A1 and were pleased to see that we’d made the right decision - the Northbound traffic on the A1 was stationary!

No amount of forward planning could have avoided all that.

So do I. ..........

No amount of forward planning could have avoided all that.
Of course not & I never implied that it would. However my point is that we can quite easily do without the latest and greatest satnav updates. As you have indicated satnav (even the newest and best) is not infallible. :D

But doesn’t appear on my COMAND screen or instrument cluster. To use it on the go I’d need to have a mobile phone contract with lots of data available, which has to be paid for. I don’t have a contract phone or plan, just PAYG, which costs peanuts.

Three do a 200mb a month sim - no contract no top up, Order your Mobile Broadband SIM | Three.

Excuse my being lazy but can anyone recommend the eBay contact previously used for Sat Nav updates?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom