Launch Control M177 C63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shakey60

Car
C63 AMG BiTurbo
I've heard that launching the W205 C63 can damage the clutch quite quickly. Can anybody add any thoughts to this. Some professional opinions would be gratefully received. Thanks guys

Think of the forces generated by using launch control. Yep, that clutch will wear
very quickly if you use it too often.

Better to have the clutch wear-out than the gearbox. - Ultimately it's just a consumable items like brake pads, and they don't last forever.

The Nissan GTR eats clutches doing multiple launches too doesn't it?

Is there anything in the manual about using launch control. Don't think on the w204 there was a warning.

I did nine launches at Santa pod and to be fair it made no difference, no smells etc, but I have been told since that the clutch can only take about that many launches. It would be good to maybe hear some feedback from regular drag strip goers....do they use launch or just floor it off the line?

Is there anything in the manual about using launch control. Don't think on the w204 there was a warning.

In the manual for the W205 & C205 C63 there is no specific warning about wear & tear but it does warn about not using it on public roads.

Below is the text from the UK online manual:-

Link to W205 Race Start Instructions

RACE START

Important safety notes
RACE START must not be used on normal roads. RACE START must be activated and used only on dedicated race circuits, not on public roads.

RACE START is only available for Mercedes-AMG vehicles except Mercedes-AMG C 43 4MATIC.

RACE START enables optimum acceleration from a standing start. For this, a suitably high-grip surface is required; the tyres and vehicle must also be in good condition.

WARNING

If you use RACE START, individual tyres may get into a spin and the vehicle could skid. Depending on the selected ESP® mode, there is an increased risk of skidding and having an accident. Make sure that no persons, animals or obstacles are within range of the vehicle.
Observe the safety notes on driving safety systems .
Be sure to observe the safety notes and information on ESP® .

Activation conditions
You can activate RACE START if:
• the doors are closed
• the engine is running and it has reached an operating temperature of approximately 71 – this is the case when the oil temperature gauge on the multifunction display is shown in white
• the drive program S, S+ or Race is selected
• the steering wheel is in the straight-ahead position
• the vehicle is stationary and the brake pedal is depressed (left foot)
• the transmission is in position .

Activating RACE START
When manual mode is active, the transmission automatically shifts up in the RACE START drive program.
This function supports maximum acceleration with RACE START.
After going through an acceleration process once from a stationary position, this function is automatically deactivated.
Depress the brake pedal with your left foot and keep it depressed. Pull and hold both steering wheel gearshift paddles .
The message RACE START Confirm: Paddle UP Cancel: Paddle DOWN appears on the multifunction display.
Release both steering wheel gearshift paddles .
If the activation conditions are no longer fulfilled, RACE START is cancelled.
The message RACE START cancelled appears on the multifunction display.

To cancel: pull the left steering wheel gearshift paddle .
or
To confirm: pull the right steering wheel gearshift paddle .
The message RACE START available Depress accelerator appears on the multifunction display.

If you do not depress the accelerator pedal fully within two seconds, RACE START is cancelled.
The message RACE START not possible See Owner's Manual appears on the multifunction display.
Fully depress the accelerator pedal until the engine speed stops rising.
The message RACE START Release brake to start appears on the multifunction display.
If you do not release the brake pedal within five seconds, RACE START is cancelled.
The message RACE START cancelled appears on the multifunction display.

Take your foot off the brake, but keep the accelerator pedal depressed.
The vehicle pulls away at maximum acceleration.
The message RACE START active appears on the multifunction display.
RACE START is deactivated when the vehicle reaches a speed of approximately 50 km/h. RACE START is deactivated immediately if you release the accelerator pedal during RACE START or if any of the activation conditions are no longer fulfilled.
The RACE START not possible See Owner's Manual or RACE START cancelled message appears on the multifunction display.

After using it several times in short succession, RACE START will be unavailable until a certain distance has been driven.

I can honestly say I've never used race start in my C63. Seems like a lot of hassle considering its so fast off the line anyway.

Doesn't seem worth the effort.

Am I missing something?

I can honestly say I've never used race start in my C63. Seems like a lot of hassle considering its so fast off the line anyway.

Am I missing something?

To be honest it is a faff and I messed it up more times than got it right, but a guy in a 600 plus bhp M177 C63 couldn't get under 13 seconds using the floor it method

Am I missing something?

Wouldn't bother doing it in my own car, it was fun trying on the AMG Driving Experience.

Doubt if you can ever get this right at the traffic lights if you ever felt the need, as you say the car is plenty quick enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom