Laurel and Hardy would be proud

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I replaced all the radiators 10+ years back on my house I used isolating valves on both sides of the pipes.

Mine is a pressurised system and have had no issues with the valves ever. Made it so much easier when I was doing work at the time - meant I could make the pipes up easily at my leisure and do the radiators room by room one at a time.

In more recent times it's made it much easier when I come to decorate a room. Just close the rad valves off (1x lockshield and 1x TRV), then turn the isolators and remove the radiator - system stays sealed and no need to drain the radiators off :)

There must be a reason why most installations don't have these fitted but it works for me! :cool:

There must be a reason why most installations don't have these fitted but it works for me! :cool:

Maybe because the ISO valves reduce the flow and sometimes they can weep a little?

Maybe because the ISO valves reduce the flow and sometimes they can weep a little?

Yeah - must be a reason but surely they can't reduce the flow any more than by balancing the rads - closing down the lockshield valves or the action on the TRVs etc. Or even compared to the smaller bore pipe systems?

Mine haven't weeped at all, even when they've been opened/closed - in fact I removed/reffited one of the rads just last week :)

Maybe it's just asthetics then, or not necessary or cost. You know how tight those plumbers/heating engineers can be........................eh Darrell? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't quite follow this.
Are you saying you have isolating valves e.g ballafix valves below the rad valves?

Yep he is. :D

Think he means 15mm ballofix on eg. skirting horizontal runs , or even vertical drops, just before each Rad valve, on each side.On surface mounted p/work.

I know there must be something about this that plumbers don't approve of, but what is the problem?

Can anyone explain?

Will said:
I know there must be something about this that plumbers don't approve of, but what is the problem? Can anyone explain?
Yes. First off it looks fugly. Secondly you drained down your heating system to fit isolating valves so you don't have to drain down your heating system to fit new radiator valves??

Last edited:

The valves were about £1 each. If I was ever concerned enough to replace them I wouldn't be too concerned. No issues in last 10/11 years though.

Compression fittings aren't the problem I'm sure - so what is the issue (?)

It was only a few years ago where people would shun the idea of plastic/poly pipe etc but they use that on heating systems now (I haven't so don't worry! :eek:)

Excuse the state of the wall - it was only decorated a couple of years back but with two young kids it takes a bit of a beating these days... :)

Yes. First off it looks fugly. Secondly you drained down your heating system to fit isolating valves so you don't have to drain down your heating system to fit new radiator valves??

Aesthetics are a personal thing I agree but I've seen less neat work in loads of places so not sure about that. Better than the old/mangled pipes with 30/40 years of old gloss paint/hairs/fluff over them anyway and I needed to mod the pipework as some of the rad sizes weren't like for like replacements.

Re - draining the system down. I replaced every radiator in the house (bar one towel rail that was nearly new), and fitted a new rad in our extension as well as some other plumbing work so the system was drained down anyway. I only had to drain it once - and could use the boiler the same day as the system was sealed again and ready to use once the valves were fitted.

As I have a combination boiler it meant I had hot water to use for a while whilst doing refurb work on the rest of the house.

Like I say I'm sure there must be a reason but I'd be interested to know - works for me and for over ten years now! :)

:confused:

That bad? :) :D

Not bad at all. I've seen much much worse. As you say, pipes coming up from the floor at all sorts of angles, covered in paint, 10mm micro bore (even worse 8mm)

I think Darrell has massive attention to detail, OCD like. (As do I) an example is that I alway bring tails up in 15mm chrome plated copper (because it looks nice)

I also use 15mm chrome in kitchen or vanity units along with chrome compression fittings as it looks so much better when you open the cupboard. It's the little things that finish a job nicely.

Incidentally I only use 15mm plastic pipe & pushfit on the Gas. :D (very much joking btw)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I do have OCD when it comes to work stuff.

Some examples.
All valves and taps must face the same direction.
All rad/towel rail tails in chrome where applicable.
If towel rail is higher than about 300mm off the floor then pipes must come out the wall and in chrome.
Always use bottle traps.

Last edited:
You're wild Darrell. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom