Law on Dash Cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alanuk400

Car
2018 W222 Mercedes S-Class LWB & 2006 R171 SLK 55AMG
Same goes for those plums who have their sat nav stuck to the middle of the windscreen I assume ?

Interesting. In Russia many people (including me) mount the camera behind the mirror or actually attached to the back of it. You can't view the screen and the whole camera is hidden. It's also a great position for taking the vids as the view is quite high.

Look at the 'Cops and Robbers' programmes on channel 62374963. The police cars have half of Halfords stuck to their windscreen.

Perhaps their advanced training includes 'how to see through solid objects'.

Mine doesn't block the view out of the windscreen at all...

Last edited:
I think that advert is pushing the interpretation of the law somewhat, you can use ANY camera provided it does not obstruct your field of view, also the bit about it being illegal to view an "active" LCD screen...hmmm....that sort of renders all satnav (built in or otherwise) and even reversing cameras illegal.

Its a load of ad speak to scare the uninformed.

I think that advert is pushing the interpretation of the law somewhat, you can use ANY camera provided it does not obstruct your field of view, also the bit about it being illegal to view an "active" LCD screen...hmmm....that sort of renders all satnav (built in or otherwise) and even reversing cameras illegal.

Its a load of ad speak to scare the uninformed.
I agree, just wanted to know what others thought about it, I didn't want to fit it illegally and have an incident then it not being accepted because the camera was fitted wrong, or me being done for it by the other party

Alan

also the bit about it being illegal to view an "active" LCD screen...hmmm....that sort of renders all satnav (built in or otherwise) and even reversing cameras illegal.
Not certain about reversing cameras, but there is a specific exemption for sat-nav displays.

Not certain about reversing cameras, but there is a specific exemption for sat-nav displays.
Reversing camera displays must be legal or no manufacturer would fit them, SatNavs are allowed and even the cops run with "active" displays showing real time images on the ANPR equipment.

I am sure it is the viewing of "entertainment" content which is the dangerous and illegal bit.

It would be interesting to find a definative answer though.

Interesting, especially given the fact this article is quoting 1988 regs,with 1991 being most recent one.

Interesting, especially given the fact this article is quoting 1988 regs,with 1991 being most recent one.
I think the relevant bit is Regulation #109 in the The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986:

Television sets

109.—(1) No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle on a road, if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television receiving apparatus or other cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than information—

(a) about the state of the vehicle or its equipment; .
(b) about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located; .
(c) to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle; or .
(d) to assist the driver to reach his destination.

(2) In this regulation “television receiving apparatus” means any cathode ray tube carried on a vehicle and on which there can be displayed an image derived from a television broadcast, a recording or a camera or computer.

This may have been amended (I did a quick search but can't find anything). Items (b) & (d) provide the exemption for sat-nav's, while item (c) would cover reversing (or other similar) cameras.

Thats absolutely fine. However, when quoting the Regs, the most recent one should be used.
Very seldom do the regulations get re-written top to bottom. Only the relevant sections get amended and everything else that still applies remains unchanged. And quite rightly so.

In my opinion, using versions which have been re-issued, doesn't carry a lot of credibility with the author. That is all :)

I would guess it could be argued that .C. covers journey recording equipment/crash cams, as it is an aid to the location of the vehicle on the road ie the position and state at the time of impact.......who's first in court? Fight....fight.....

There an old thread on this very subject where the legal position is explained very clearly :thumb:

There an old thread on this very subject where the legal position is explained very clearly :thumb:
Do you have a link to the thread, as I cannot find it........

I found one link but it gave less information than this one regarding the legality

Last edited:
+1
Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom