Law on Spares availability?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
Does anyone know the laws on vehicle spares availability?

A friend of mine has a 4 year old Audi A4 that has recently broken down with an oil pump failure. Turns out to be a design problem with the shaft that drives the pump. Audi forums littered with people with the same issue. The oil pump shaft has been redesigned and allegedly alleviates the issue. Audi never issued a recall.

The car is at the garage and Audi have said that the part is on back order and some people have been waiting since September for the part to become available... could be another 3 months or more.

As you can imagine, my mate has had to buy another temporary car as he simply cant be car less for the duration. Audi simply shrugs shoulders saying it is a 100,000 mile car - what does he expect.

Is there no European legislation on parts availability for vehicles or something that could put pressure on Audi to improve the lead time of the parts? I suppose there is the 6 year merchantable quality in the sale of goods act but is there anything more specific to spares availability?

Last edited:
If it's not an 'Audi part' and it's made by someone else, I wouldn't be sure how that would play out.

Doesn't happen to be a 2.0 TDi, does it?

Doesn't happen to be a 2.0 TDi, does it?

Yes it is.

Apparently Audi knew there was a fault with the design in 2005 as they already were shifting the redesigned parts as a kit. Yet they kept using the old design in new cars long afterwards. :wallbash:

Yes it is.

Apparently Audi knew there was a fault with the design in 2005 as they already were shifting the redesigned parts as a kit. Yet they kept using the old design in new cars long afterwards. :wallbash:

The indie that I go to tells me that he will be able to retire early because of how much work he gets out of the 2.0 TDi VAG engined cars, every time *every single time* I go there, there will be a car with that engine. Probably the reason why they never really got rid of the 1.9 TDi, they needed it as back up!

How has it affected your friend, have you persuaded him to buy a proper car next?;)

He's just bought a £1700 Saab :D

For such a common problem why is it a 3+ month wait for the parts? Surely this would deem the vehicle not fit for purpose?

Most European legislation on this matter seems to focus on the protection of design of the spare parts [ i.e. so they can't be copied] rather than their supply. Some people quote 6 years others 10 years but unfortunately we may be in " recommended code of practice " territory here rather than legislation. :( Mercedes have a reasonable track record here [ with a few exceptions:eek:] and can still supply/source most mechanical/electrical components for cars over 20 years old--- external and internal trim admittedly being an understandable problem area.

Sounds as if the problem can have further ramifications other than just the oil pump drive [ insufficient case hardening of the shaft??] lots of stuff here.2.0 TDI oil pump / balance shaft failure?

Puts me in mind of my recent remarks about the risks of owning modern models outwith their warranty period. :dk:
If I was desperate I would be looking to potential supply from German companies directly.

We had that with a 57 plate a4 bre engine and the entire engine had to be replaced.

Audi are a disgrace, this is a fault which will effect a large number of these engines unless the pump is changed and as these are popular, many are unaware and it's when the car hits 80k or so it goes pop. Audi didn't want to know even though the car was only three months out of warranty.

Sorry cant add much but I know the headache we had and it's something we hope never to have to go through again.

He's just bought a £1700 Saab :D

For such a common problem why is it a 3+ month wait for the parts? Surely this would deem the vehicle not fit for purpose?

That would rely falling back under Sales of Goods Act. Problem is unless he has the car from new, he probably does not have a contractual relationship with Audi.

Not sure how his rights stand - at least must partly be dependant on who he bought the car off.

As an aside to this story, I've just been offered a 55 plate Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi with 557,000 miles on for £900!

So is the 1.9tdi a much more reliable engine? Reason I ask is a friend is looking at an A3 in either 1.9 or 2.0 tdi. Would he be wise to go with the 1.9 and sacrifice a little power? (interestingly, the 1.9 has a much nicer engine/exhaust note.. :D )

Get the PD motor - simpler/ more robust so it will last longer if you feed it the correct oil. VW 504/507 [YOUTUBE]ZsWkbpGs96w[/YOUTUBE]

grober said:
Get the PD motor - simpler/ more robust so it will last longer if you feed it the correct oil. VW 504/507 <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsWkbpGs96w">YouTube Link</a>

There are 2.0 PD engines Graeme and iirc these are big trouble compared to the 1.9 TDi

In saying that DMFs are an issue on 1.9 TDi cars. My mate went through one zoned the second was on the way out 60k miles later

Get the PD motor - simpler/ more robust so it will last longer if you feed it the correct oil. VW 504/507 The PD system had its origins in commercial vehicle injection systems. The last VAG vehicles to have them were Skodas and perhaps contributed to their good reliability record and popularity with taxi drivers. Will be interesting to see if this continues now they are getting the newer common rail engines? :dk: Sometimes the old fashioned motors are the best. ;) [YOUTUBE]ZsWkbpGs96w[/YOUTUBE]

1.9TDi AFAIK is reliable. I know from friends on the VAG scene that the 2.0 is not that well regarded.

2.0 tdi is a dog, the A4 we had was stunning when we bought it, still turned heads but to think that failure of a small compononet could cause so much damage is taking the proverbial.

Given the number of this year of engine that are around, I fear this number will only increase and Audi will take no responsibility for it... becoming quite common though with all manufacturers.

Oops seem to have double posted there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom