law ...........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dean Fletcher

Car
Mercedes E250 CDI Coupe
Hi guys,
Quick question is it against the law to drive with your third brake light out?
(All other lights work fine).
Thanks

Only a guess, it is illegal as all lights fitted must be working.

It won't pass an MOT with it defective.

I read somewhere if you say its not connected they should pass or check connected and then fail if not working. Not sure what happens if you cover it with thick tape.

i had an mot advisory saying (some led lights out on 3rd brake light but not more than 25%),so i read that if theres more than 25% out it will fail mot.

It's like any light on your car. They can fail while out during a drive out, and as soon as you discover the failure, you are supposed to sort it. Needless to say, if a Police officer pulls you and says that your third light isn't working, just feign ignorance.

In the meantime, check out possible solutions to your problem. Chances are there is a simple cure for your issue, such as a loose connection.

As long as it's wired up it will fail an MOT, if it isn't, then your fine. Expect the same with it in general. Why not get it fixed?

No it's not a fail as long as the other two brake lights are working.

No it's not a fail as long as the other two brake lights are working.

Had this on another car last year and its a fail regardless of the other brake lights working unfortunately. As people have said, if it is present it has to be working (well 75% if it is an LED strip). Makes sense really as it could cause an accident.

Remove it physically (not just not wired) and they have to pass it as it is not required to be there, but must work if it is.

I've had a car pass with front fog lights not working... I thought all lights had to be working, but apparently not, front fogs were an "extra" on that particular and the dealer said as such they don't even test them. Just as well as they didnt have one and it took a few weeks to get one..

Mine just went thru' it's MOT, passed with no advisories, despite having a condensation filled front fog light, (now replaced)....which I was reliably informed by a 'worthy expert' would be an automatic failure, personally I think it all depends on whether the inspector / mechanic had his 'ego' stroked before he set off to work that day.

IMO...the only hard and fast rules governing MOTs is that there are no hard and fast rules...other than you will have 'rusty, corroded brake pipes' !!!

Last edited:
Or, just get it sorted....issue/problem solved. :)

My understanding is:

If it is fitted (sounds obvious) then it must function as designed.

This is a big topic on the 4X4 forums at MOT time. Lot's of the off road folks remove the rear seats (including any jump seats). They then get an MOT fail for leaving parts of the rear seat belts in place. Why? If they are fitted then they must function as designed.

Solution: Remove the entire belt - both ends.

With Front Fog lights there does appear to be some "local" confusion. My MOT tester gave me an advisory for a broken front fog light, lens & bulb. I also believed that this would be a fail.

FYI: I actually think I broke the light on the drive to the MOT as it was fine the previous evening.

So, back to the OP's question. My understanding is that if you have a third brake light fitted (aftermarket or not)? Then it must operate as a brake light, or it will fail.

Edit: I just found this......

any bake light fitted must be working, if it does not light up it is a fail. However high level brake lights are treated as additional stop lamps - if it is disconnected it will not fail. the books says "Additional stop lamps fitted and connected must be tested. Where extra lamps are fitted and there is doubt as to whether they are connected, the benefit of this doubt should be given to the presenter."

Last edited:
Front fog lamps and reversing lights are not tested

MOT station owner.

Quick question is it against the law to drive with your third brake light out?

Short answer, yes. Long answer......

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/23/made

23.—(1) No person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a vehicle unless every lamp, reflector, rear marking and device to which this paragraph applies is in good working order and, in the case of a lamp, clean.

(2) Save as provided in paragraph (3), paragraph (1) applies to-

(a) every-

(i) front position lamp,
(ii) rear position lamp,
(iii) headlamp,
(iv) rear registration plate lamp,
(v) side marker lamp,
(vi) end-outline marker lamp,
(vii) rear fog lamp,
(viii) retro reflector, and
(ix) rear marking of a type specified in Part I of Section B of Schedule 19,with which the vehicle is required by these Regulations to be fitted; and

(b) every-

(i) stop lamp,
(ii) direction indicator,
(iii) running lamp,
(iv) dim-dip device,
(v) headlamp levelling device, and
(vi) hazard warning signal device,with which it is fitted.

It would be a little harsh but a an endorsable fixed penalty notice can be issued.

EDIT: What the situation is regarding the third brake light and MoTs (which is a separate thing entirely to traffic law) I have no idea.

Last edited:
Short answer, yes. Long answer......

It would be a little harsh but a an endorsable fixed penalty notice can be issued.

So if you were on your way to Hellfrauds to get some "Bulbs" (For the garden, yes I know, i just like annoying electricians) and you get stopped, how would it go?

how many times have you heard, I am on my way to get some just now, when they are actually on the way to get some just now!

Genuine question for those of us who, as an example, might leave the car in the UK for several weeks at a time, then come back, check it and oh look, bulb gone.

So if you were on your way to Hellfrauds to get some "Bulbs" (For the garden, yes I know, i just like annoying electricians) and you get stopped, how would it go?

how many times have you heard, I am on my way to get some just now, when they are actually on the way to get some just now!

Genuine question for those of us who, as an example, might leave the car in the UK for several weeks at a time, then come back, check it and oh look, bulb gone.

Curiously, most people 'give the game away' straight away. Normally, they have no idea it isn't working or they noticed the other day but haven't got around to it yet.
Very, very few say, I know and I am on my way to have it sorted. I suspect something to do with the general attitude towards law and right and wrong, nowadays i.e. a prevalence of the couldn't care less but when faced with a prosecution, they become very interested in how they think it should be addressed by the issuing officer and it doesn't involve any personal culpability.

I haven't looked at that....what's required to meet an annual test is different to what's required every time the vehicle is on the road/public place.

This thread is pointless..... there aren't any police on the roads - I've not seen any in the last 5 years.

:D

IMO...the only hard and fast rules governing MOTs is that there are no hard and fast rules...other than you will have 'rusty, corroded brake pipes' !!!

Is this option automatically selected, because every MOT I have ever had done always mentions the brake lines and corrosion.

:crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom