Lawnmower advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tan

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
W140 S-Class, Porsche Cayenne and Porsche Boxster
Hi

I am looking at buying a new lawnmower, I really want to have a striped lawn so a roller is a must.

I am unsure if to get a rotary or a cylinder, the rotaries are much cheaper, but are they as good as the cylinders or what the difference is?

Thanks

Tan

Cylinder mowers are a pain, get a rotary with roller. I have a Honda with steel roller and it leaves stripes.

Another one for rotary's I've a bosche and it leaves stripes.

Rotary again.

Mine's a Briggs and Stratton engine, which is crude compared against the Honda offerings, though it's a few years old now, so newer ones might be better.

I imagine that cylinder blades are quite expensive to sharpen or replace. Whereas the rotary ones are relatively cheap. A sharp blade goes a long way for a good finish IMHO.

Having said that, cricket and tennis lawns look to be cut with cylinder lawnmowers. So if you're after the best.....

A cylinder will produce the best cut but you really need a smooth surface. Any uneven ground will affect its performance. As Will alludes to a cylinder at Wimbledon or Lord's will works wonders but on my bobbly lawns I use a rotary with roller. Funnily enough I am looking for a Honda with 21" cut as my 16" is getting a bit long in the tooth and I want to be quicker.

Thanks guys, a rotary with roller it is then.

I want stripes, but don't want it to be too complicated.

The problem with stripes is they have to be good. Any imperfection or deviation and it all looks a bit silly, and don't mow while on the phone or drunk.

I aim to replace my lawn bit by bit with interesting plantings. Mine is on numerous slopes with dips and bumps so use a Flymo, but long term I want it gone.

I had a Qualcast 43s, cylinder mower for a number of years.

It was a complete pain in the backside and I know I made the right choice with the Honda.

I would get the Qualcast serviced, sharpened and set (for about £100), then clip a stone on the first cut and buckle the blade. In addition it couldn't handle any rye grass at all.

Mine is on numerous slopes with dips and bumps so use a Flymo,

Another pain...a hover mower without grass collection. By definition, it sends grass everywhere.

I learn by experience. ;)

It has a collector. It may not be a good collector, but only when nearly full.

Had my rotary Hayter since 1993......excellent tool.

Mic

Funnily enough the local mower man collected my Murray 21" for a service last week, it was playing up upon first start up this year.......although not surprised as its now 13 years old and never been touched apart from petrol.......yes I know, but hey it's just a mower!
It's an American make mower with a B&S motor and its been excellent but no roller so faint stripes (it has a drag striper).
Next time I need a mower though it will be a Honda most definately, a friend has one and it purrs compared to mine and just feels so well put together.
But then again mine has cost about £12 a year outlay so far, pretty good value.

One more thing if you have any kind of big lawn or ANY kind of back problems buy a self propelled model whatever make it is, if mine were not self powered I would be layer out with a bad back for days after cutting my lawn!

The problem with stripes is they have to be good. Any imperfection or deviation and it all looks a bit silly, and don't mow while on the phone or drunk.QUOTE]

That's ruined my weekend then.

Another one for Hayter. Mine has electric start and is self propelled. Effortless mowing. Cost about £600

I have a mountfield piece of cr*p. Self propelled 18", bought form B&Q about 6 years ago and falling apart.
Next purchase will have a roller and I thought it would be a Hayter, but this talk of Honda means I've got a choice:thumb:

A cylinder will produce the best cut but you really need a smooth surface. Any uneven ground will affect its performance. As Will alludes to a cylinder at Wimbledon or Lord's will works wonders but on my bobbly lawns I use a rotary with roller. Funnily enough I am looking for a Honda with 21" cut as my 16" is getting a bit long in the tooth and I want to be quicker.

I too have a Honda engined mower. It is a 21" pro Mountfield and it is a brute of a machine with the steel rear roller and the alloy deck so be wary of a 21" machine. Try before you buy if poss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom