Laying up a CLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moultoneer

Car
CLK320
I'm shortly off to sea for the next 4 months. I've tried to sell my CLK, (only over the past 2 weeks,) but had no interest, at even £1650. So, looks as if I'm going to have to put it into storage for the next 4 months.

It is a custom built building, looks nice and dry and airy but there is no one to check on or move the car. So, all I can do is disconnect the battery.

How will I find the radio code for when I come back? Also, I'm thinking of pumping the tyres up beyond their normal pressure in an attempt to prevent flat spotting. Is that a good idea, and if so, how hard could I pump them?

Cheers,

LG.

How will I find the radio code for when I come back?

If it’s OEM then there isn’t one

4 months should be fine. I take it there is no possibility of a trickle charger for the battery? If its a 209 there should not be a code for the radio - ours does not need one. Leave the parking brake off in case the pads stick.

Call Mercedes dealer with your VIN if they play hardball hang up and try another dealer. Failing that will have to take your unit out to get the serial number from the back and try ringing dealers again with this. Failing that plenty of websites online that will charge you few pence all they need again is VIN/serial number.
Might be a member on here that can get for you?
No harm over inflating tyres. Dont engage your handbrake!
Leaving battery on trickle charger would be ideal.
P.s. any pics/details of the car just curious and may be tempted if its decent!

If you're worried about the tyres, you could just rest in on axle stands.

If you have electricity, make sure you use an intelligent trickle charger, CTEK are good, often left my E class for 4 months without any problems , just pumped tyres up hard and connected the b/c

As above and for the tyres inflate up to max allowable which is usually around 50psi but that will be indicated on the tyre.

and yes if possible trickle charger on it as you may have to faff with window resetting etc if you remove battery!

Hi and thanks for all of the replies. The trickle charger won't be possible so I'll be coming back to a flat battery I guess. I'll clean/dry the car and pump up the tyres and then that will have to be that. I've got a cotton dust sheet to cover it and I'll leave the windows slightly open It might only be 3 months but I'll have to wait and see.

This is where it will be going:Caravan-storage-indoor.png
It will need a new MOT and a service when I get back and I'll decide what to do with it then. If it copes with the storage OK I might be tempted to hang on to it for my periods back home.

Anyway, thanks again,

LG.

Call Mercedes dealer with your VIN if they play hardball hang up and try another dealer. Failing that will have to take your unit out to get the serial number from the back and try ringing dealers again with this. Failing that plenty of websites online that will charge you few pence all they need again is VIN/serial number.
Might be a member on here that can get for you?
No harm over inflating tyres. Dont engage your handbrake!
Leaving battery on trickle charger would be ideal.
P.s. any pics/details of the car just curious and may be tempted if its decent!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6ytMk5rJwPPvsPHh6

Hi. Too late for anything to happen to it now so it will have to wait until I get back. It's a low mileage, (56 500ish), 2 owner car. Runs really well and been used mainly for long, careful rins while I've had it. I've been in a hurry so it's rarely seen the wrong side of 70mph.

A few another niggles though. The front towing eye plug disappeared shortly after I got it, I broke the drivers vanity mirror, the passenger seat belt warning seems to think that there is always someone sitting there, (I leave the seat belt plugged in at the mo,) and the drivers head rest has never worked.

Anyway, as I've said on the thread, I'll be deciding what to do with it when I get back from the up coming trip.

Many thanks for your in put and interest,

LG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom