Lazy boot lid!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon

MB Enthusiast
Car
C180 Proper gearbox
As some of you will know, there’s a degree of satisfaction to be had when using the remote to open the boot lid. Or maybe it’s just me!

Anyway, mine seems to have lost some of its spring and wont fully open like it once did, in particular when its got rain on it. I’ve sprayed WD40 onto the hinges which are a devil to get at, but it’s not helped.

Has anyone else noticed this, or got any suggestions how I can liven it up again?

Cheers.

Why not try adjusting the springs,I did this a while back on mine and put it on the end one using a pair of mole grips clamped on the spring hook.The boot opens now with a bit more ease.

Attachments

• boot spring.jpg
    boot spring.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 326
Pluggers,

That’s a useful picture. I’m sure your suggestion will fix the problem.

Edit: Done it. I just did the one on the drivers side and it works a treat. If I ever get a boot spoiler I'll probably have to do the other side.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Lazy??

Mine has just given (it's last) almighty twang and I guess broken :mad:

I take it there is one either side, but the RH one has gone and the boot lid isn't supported by the remaining spring.

Dunno how many times the boot has been opened in 92K miles, but it seems once too many!

Off to the dealership again tomorrow (only just been to get my #1 spring pads) :(

It's amazing how enthusiastic you can be at 6:30am.

The srping had not broken, but had just come off!?

It's back on now. The last few times before it fell off, it wasn't opening the boot with the springs, only opeing an inch or so.

It's doing the same now, but I put it down to the weight of the crud on the boot lid!

I'll tension it a notch higher if it's the same when it's warmer and it gets a clean.

GrahamC230K said:
It's amazing how enthusiastic you can be at 6:30am.

The spring had not broken, but had just come off!?

When I took my boot linings out the other month to change my shocks (well for Jimmy to change my shocks), I found the above was not true.

The metal had actually sheared off where the spring connects to the hinge end. Luckily there where holes nearby, hence at the time I hooked it back on and thought nothing of it......unitl I found and odd sheared price of metal in Azurite blue when I was clearing out.

Anyway, today, almighty twang and the other side has gone!! Same metal the other side sheared!!

Anyone else have this?

I have done the same arrangement this side, but even on the max tension settings it hasn't enough oomph to open the boot on it's own now :(

My old C-Class did this and the bloody thing came crashing down on my head, they had to change both springs in the end, thank the lord for warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom