Lcd Display

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mporto

Car
Mercedes CLK 320E
Can anyone advise me why my LCD time/temp clock and my LDC tiptronic gear display have faded?

CLK 320 E - YEAR 2000

Advice and a fix if known appreciated

Thanks

Has anyone got an idea on this, I have the same problem with my E220 (51)?

I think the problem with the display is caused by a poor connection on the circuit board.

Post number 18 on the thread below explains how to repair it.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=18604

Mine is still working fine since the repair.

Peter.

Last edited:
PeterE320Cdi said:
The problem with the display is caused by a poor connection on the circuit board.

In which case I apologise - I had assumed the fading was of the whole display, rather than individual segments.

I had the segment problem on my W210 in the gearshift position / clock display and repaired it by reterminating the ribbon cable. A very fiddly job!

Ian.

Hi Ian,

How did you reterminate the ribbon cable?

I wondered if this was possible as I thought it would be a neater solution but was not sure how the connections are fixed.

Cheers, Peter.

Bit of a bodge really - on mine it was a thin papery plastic membrane with the tracks printed onto it. I simply cut it a bit shorter and gently peeled the protective plastic back a few millimetres and rubbed the glue away before lightly scratching the tracks to liven them up a bit. Effective, but very fiddly.

I took the view that there were stripes missing across the dot matrix part of the gearshift display and segments failed in the clock. A new instrument cluster was obviously expensive and so I wondered if the old trick for repairing Sinclair ZX Spectrum rubber keyboards would work on those.

Ian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom