Le Mans 1955 Mercedes accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barbanasos

Car
Mercedes E200 w124 and 2000 E55 AMG
Now on BBC4. What a fascinating and at the same time tragic story. The accident was terrible to watch.

On again (BBC4) later tonight (12.40AM) for those that have missed it. Compelling viewing. What a tragic event.

Interesting and horrifying at the same time.

Didn't Mercedes call it right when they pulled out with the phrase "What are you going to say when you win"

I read Fangio's autobiography several years ago and I remember he said that he knew something was wrong when the spectators were looking the wrong way so he slowed down - but that footage with him in close attendance has to call that into doubt

Amazing and shameful that Jaguar continued the race even after Mercedes pulled out. Very bad PR at the time I would have thought.

Amazing and shameful that Jaguar continued the race even after Mercedes pulled out. Very bad PR at the time I would have thought.

Has to be judged in the context of the times. Ten years after that war, folks were less squeamish than in these PC times.

Things are so much easier with 20/20 hindsight!
I suspect that very few at the race really understood the full scale of just what had unfolded opposite the pits. We were way before the age of instant communication and only just emerging form the secrecy of war.
Given what we know now, the Jaguar decision seems at least regrettable.
But Mercedes also have made some very strange calls at Le Mans.
In 1999 it took the third car to fly (quite literally) outside the circuit containment systems before they cried 'enough!'
One of those intrepid aviators was yesterday's Monaco winner...but each of the incidents had the potential of being a repeat of 1955:eek:
I have been at Le Mans when someone has been killed, and it will never be 100% safe, but fortunately it is now a very rare occurrence.

Has to be judged in the context of the times. Ten years after that war, folks were less squeamish than in these PC times.

The point was also made that the organisers decided against calling off the event for fear that if the spectators then started to leave en masse it would hinder access for the emergency services. Not sure how valid or accurate that is, but if true then it does put a slightly different complection on things.

I thought the most chilling moment in this excellent programme came just towards the end, as they gradually overlaid the two photographs taken just before and just after the incident.

Also, couldn't help noticing that Sir Stirling Moss was conspicuous by his absence as a contributor. I presume he has resolved not to talk about what happened that day?

The point was also made that the organisers decided against calling off the event for fear that if the spectators then started to leave en masse it would hinder access for the emergency services. Not sure how valid or accurate that is, but if true then it does put a slightly different complection on things.

I suspect that it true. Even in modern times, after the event it is almost impossible to leave when everyone else in trying to do the same. I have normally been awake for over 30hours at that point, so get my wife to drive whilst we wait in the queues.Zzzzzz:eek:

The race at Imola continued in 1994. For the reason of a legal technicality. No one was criticised for lacking sensitivity.

Didn't really see anything new here, just a bit of a rehash.

Motorsport is dangerous. Every ticket you buy today tells you that & things were very different back in the '50's - YouTube - 1956 Le Mans - Mike Hawthorn Jaguar OnBoard Lap . H&SE folk would **** in their pants at the thought of doing that today!

What I'm constantly amazed at is the time warp lack of safety (& common sense) still seen at rally events where people are standing a couple of feet away from cars being driven ball-to-the-wall flat out sideways on slippery surfaces.

I'm surprised spectators aren't killed at every event.

Didn't really see anything new here, just a bit of a rehash.

Motorsport is dangerous. Every ticket you buy today tells you that & things were very different back in the '50's - YouTube - 1956 Le Mans - Mike Hawthorn Jaguar OnBoard Lap . H&SE folk would **** in their pants at the thought of doing that today!

What I'm constantly amazed at is the time warp lack of safety (& common sense) still seen at rally events where people are standing a couple of feet away from cars being driven ball-to-the-wall flat out sideways on slippery surfaces.

I'm surprised spectators aren't killed at every event.

These spectators, are probably the very same people that are rubbish drivers, that show no road or safety sense of whilst driving on the highways. And I don't mean they drive fast, quite the opposite mostly!

Just watched it on iPlayer.

Fascinating but desperately sad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom