Le Mans 24h 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeeJayW

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S205 C250d AMG Line Premium Plus
Anyone going or watching on TV?

TV coverage including practice and qualifying is on Eurosport. Q1 is on right now.

Official site:
24 Hours of Le Mans official website | ACO - Automobile Club de l'Oues

News from Wednesday:
24 Hours of Le Mans – Free Practice and Qualifying Session 1 as it happened!

Big crash for Tracy Krohn yesterday in practice, he was unable to take part in Q1. Hopefully he's ok to continue later today, otherwise the car will be ineligible to enter the race (must have three drivers available)
Dempsey-Proton Racing Porsche suffers chassis damage in heavy Le Mans crash - The Checkered Flag

I watched the recordings of last night this morning;)
I've spent too many years letting Le Mans dictate my schedule, so I now control how much and when I see what is going on!
Never in 17 visits did I manage to get any sleep on the Saturday night, even the my first visit in '86 with Jaguar, one car lasted until after breakfast:wallbash:
If you look at the results, a better picture as to which car is in control is to look at the total laps completed rather than the quickest.
The fastest lap is normally just the car which got a clear lap within 60 cars, 13.7kms and lap times which vary by up to 40secs....

Watching on tv ...frustrated not to be there for my 30th anniversary visit to the mecca of motor racing....

Watched the start and the first couple of hours, will check it out periodically. I've only been a couple of times, in '09 and '10. My neighbour has gone this year with a few of his mates, I hope they're having a good time.

Looks like the Aston Martins were screwed over by the balance of performance (BOP) committee. Had their turbos turned down and fuel reduced. So after qualifying on pole, they end up scratching around at the back and now Car 95 just went off at Arnage. Driver ok but car may not be.

Well, in a tough day for the LMP1 #7 Toyota leading all the way until the run in only to be plagued with tyre or tyre pressure sensor issues. Congrats on the overall win by the chasing #8 Toyota driven Buemi, Nagajima (first Japanese WEC champ) and Alonso who (shock-horror!) was whinging all weekend, but was gracious enough to say that perhaps he didn't deserve the win this weekend. Goes in the record book as the only driver(s) to win Le Mans twice in the same season.

Nearest competitor to Toyota was #11 SMP driven by Petrov, Aleshin and Vandoorne, some 6-laps back from the lead. Can't help feeling that the BoP folks meddling played a part again, i.e. non hybrid cars were mandated to do more pit-stops than hybrids (Toyota).

In LMP2 great result for car #36 Signatech Alpine Mamet 1-lap clear. Disappointed that Ant Davidson's #31 Dragonspeed retired after doing so well in Qually.

Some great racing in the GT classes, with the top 5 GTE-Pro cars on the same lap after driving flat out for nearly 2,900 miles. The top 3 GTE-Am cars on the same lap too. Brilliant!

New season starts in September at Silverstone and concludes back at Le Mans in June next year..
2019–20 FIA World Endurance Championship - Wikipedia

Last edited:
So we have just seen second Toyota Le Mans win.
Mercedes are great car engineers, but have had a very 'chequered' history at La Sarthe. Probably due to the lack of Le Mans specific aerodynamic experience.
The disaster of 1955 kept them away for many years.
The return in 1988 was cut short when the downforce levels had been miscalculated and the cars withdrawn as they were overloading the tyres on the Mulsanne...with explosive results.
In 1989 they did win, but that was probably my fault(!) as I allowed the Jaguars to run with, what proved to be, transmission lubricant and exhaust systems which lacked intended durability. The Jaguars did win either side of that year.
In 1998 all the cars retired, but in 1999 they returned with a real flying machine.
For those of a technical leaning, here is the story of that event.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks Mac, interesting stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom