Le Mans tips anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fryingpan78

Car
2004 E55
Hey all,

I'm looking to take my first trip to Le Mans 24hrs next year.

Does anyone have any tips? Best campsite, best way to get there, best place to get tickets etc etc etc.

Any info gratefully received.

-t

OK, it's Porsche oriented, but - Lycian Events. Fenced and secure site very near the viewing area at Porsche Curves, superb security, end of the road so little traffic noise and dust, great "facilities" for ladies as well as us blokes, superb catering tent with big flat screen TV's, good reasonable food and draft ale (no spirits, but wine and beer), had our first ever 24 hour there 2 years ago and it was superb.

Le Mans Survival Guide - Welcome to Beermountain.com (or is it .co.uk, not sure) is another place for good info, but seems to be more the site for beer oriented blokes rather than more "couple oriented" sites.

We camped next to the Beermountain guys this year at Masion Blanche. Its right next to the track, and near the action, but no too rowdy.

Regulars to beasejour Cheap and cheerful, but in reality we've never had a problem. Plan your cold beer strategy. Lock valuables away to be safe. If staying Sunday night (very recommended) get back to camp quickly after race and ensure if you leave that zombie keeps an eye out due to French pikeys.

Take ear plugs. It will be noisy anywhere on camp

If your precious about your car think twice driving post midday on Friday.

It's so fantastic weekend, and one of the highlights of the year.

Ps don't plan in speeding. French police very hot on it that weekend.

Pps. I've not managed beyond 3:30 am,,,,

Regulars to beasejour Cheap and cheerful, but in reality we've never had a problem. Plan your cold beer strategy. Lock valuables away to be safe. If staying Sunday night (very recommended) get back to camp quickly after race and ensure if you leave that zombie keeps an eye out due to French pikeys.

Daft question: Who or what is Zombie?

Daft question: Who or what is Zombie?

That was some very clever predictive text. I think it was meant to say somebody... Beats me:wallbash:

ETA I heard more trouble form the private sites this years then the public ones. Two cars were damaged by idiots in the Pistonheads camp.

Ps don't plan in speeding. French police very hot on it that weekend.

This is this best advice.......the last few years the Police have been pulling everything over and not just for speeding, but if you do speed....you WILL be done!

Last year we must have seen at least two dozen cars of the "supercar" league at the side of the road with very sheepish looking drivers being "talked" to.

First visit this year. Earplugs would have been a wise move - about 12 French lads next to us in Beausejour, with a van and a couple of cars. They unship a generator out of the van. I jokingly say "this is where they set up a 500W stereo and play techno till 4AM". Guess what.. :mad:

Despite the temptation on the gorgeous French roads, as stated it ain't worth speeding on Le Mans week. All police leave cancelled, I heard. I do know that the two lads who came caning past us - sat at 129 Km/h with the cruise control on - in 2 UK registered Ferraris probably had a very expensive weekend, as we saw them on the hard shoulder with 2 police motorcycles about 15 minutes later.

Other top tip - if you're camping, make sure you take your own bog roll. Availability in the campsite loos is not guaranteed.. ;)

Cheers,

Gaz

First visit this year. Earplugs would have been a wise move - about 12 French lads next to us in Beausejour, with a van and a couple of cars. They unship a generator out of the van. I jokingly say "this is where they set up a 500W stereo and play techno till 4AM". Guess what.. :mad:

Despite the temptation on the gorgeous French roads, as stated it ain't worth speeding on Le Mans week. All police leave cancelled, I heard. I do know that the two lads who came caning past us - sat at 129 Km/h with the cruise control on - in 2 UK registered Ferraris probably had a very expensive weekend, as we saw them on the hard shoulder with 2 police motorcycles about 15 minutes later.

Other top tip - if you're camping, make sure you take your own bog roll. Availability in the campsite loos is not guaranteed.. ;)

Cheers,

Gaz

I use these - Howard Leight Laserlite soft foam earplugs SNR35db Laser lite ear plugs FREE P&P | eBay. We were on BJS this year also....

Just put some pics on this thread... http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/173345-le-mans.html

Not many French in our camping area which kept the party noise down. Lots of car clubs, Pistonheads etc. Great bunch of lads, got invited to a few areas to watch the football.

I've been for the last 8 years and love it. I would never ever stay at the track. I stay about 15 minutes outside of Le Mans, close enough that its not a problem, far enough its nice clean and without problems.

friday is a very good day for sight seeing. Lots of cars and people milling around.

Race day, when it gets dark get yourself down to the end of the mulsanne straight, watching the cars approach and then disappear between the trees heading to arnage. Amazing.

As others have said do not speed. I was caught out for a 750 euro on the spot cash fine a couple of years ago on the trip home.

Most of all enjoy!!!! It is a great weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom