Leaded in an Unleaded...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
So in case you haven't caught me ranting about this for the last 6 years or so, I'm driving to Timbuktu in December.

I just had a thought... the car runs on unleaded, but the fuel I'll find it most likely going to be leaded...

Any advice? Should I remove the cat? My concern is that the ECU will sense the cat being coked up and decide to shut down my engine in the middle of nowhere...

Ideas? Comments?
M.

just use the leaded. I am sure it won't do any harm for your trip.

What car is it?

Last edited:
Cut it off.

Hava a look underneath and see how many lambda sensors its got per bank?

If only one each side i reckon you can remove the cats and the engine will be none the wiser.

But if its got a sensor before and after the cat you will have bother if you remove the cat.

Lynall

Leaded will destroy the cat, you'll have problems when mot time comes around.

I don't think passing a future MOT is any concern at all in this particular case ;)

Ah!...........i've just re-read, i didnt realise it was likely to be a one way trip only.......:thumb:

In that case, leave it on, leaded wont do anything other than neutralise the effectiveness of the cat.

It's not a one way trip for me <touch wood> :p but lets say the car won't be going through any MOTs in Mali ;)

So the consensus seems to be "go for it"...

I'm thinking of pre-filtering the fuel with a 5μm filter, i.e. before even putting it into the tank... do you recon that's fine enough? I'm thinking that should get rid of the larger particles before they go through the car's built in filter...

M.

Remove the cat! Leaded is actually better for the car as it lubricates the valves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom