leaking fuel cap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zafarius

I have been seeing diesel coming from the fuel filler housing for some time but just thought that it was some fuel having spilt when I last filled up.

But it appears that the fuel cap is leaking. I filled up yesterday (about 3/4 tank) in total and today saw that fuel had once again leaked onto the bodywork.

I checked the small overflow tube inside the fuel cap housing and saw that this was blocked with dirt. Poking a small screwdriver into the rubber tube to clean it unfortunately caused the tube to push right down into the rear panel .

Questions : Is it common for fuel caps to leak ? I've never seen this before.
Examining the cap I can see that there is no rubber seal or anything similiar around the edges. Could this be the problem. Can I replace this with an aftermarket fuel cap or do I have to buy merc. Any ideas how to retrieve the rubber overflow tubing i.e can I pull the tube through the rear panel from the bottom and then feed it through the top etc or is there a bigger job involved here somewhere ?

Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi

Buy a new cap frpm the dealer, mine did the same although there should be a rubber on the cap.
The hose hopefully can be got at be removing the trim in the boot, my car is an estate so cannot advise correctly.

Checked back through receipts filler cap MA140 470 00 05 £5.81 +vat.

As 230K says pull the r/h trim from inside the boot. The filler is then visible.

Yes, Thanks for the help folks. I will try to re-thread the tube at the weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom