Leaking in passenger footwell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooikat

Car
320CLK
I have a 2000 C320 (?W124) which started to leak water into the passenger footwell but it is getting a lot worse. It comes in on the left and the right corner of this footwell and is literally just pouring, soaking two towels in no time when driving. Seems to be worse after rain or carwash. Where do I start??

Is it a CLK as in your details. If so its a W208. Likely sources are a corner of the windscreen or blocked drain holes. If it has a sunroof the drains from these can get blocked and cause this problem.

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Yes it is a CLK and it does not have a sunroof. Where do I look for the drainholes to try and unblock them?

Hi,
Sounds like your hearter vent drain holes are blocked, to gain access to them you need to remove the lower windscreen trim and remove the top of the heater box, once cleared you will probably have to replace your pollen filter as well.

or reach down the outside of the box and wiggle your finger in the rubber drain hole to clear the blockage

Oh Blimey! Thanks for all your advice guys and I tried... But I'm a novice with this car. I managed to remove what I think is the trim (the grey piece which clips into position?) but after that I was stumped; tried to undo a few screws that were obvious but then saw a nut that I did not feel confident to undo. Not sure if it holds the windscreen up or something. Also, markmifsud, your advice sounds the easiest to follow but I can't see where I should wiggle my finger to clear the blockage. I don't actually know where the heater box sits..... :eek: I'm a girl you see. Should I just take it to a garage? Or is it easy?

Think it.

Where does the water drain to...the lowest points. So find those points and you will find the drain holes.

Thanks renault12ts. I worked that one out and can see that there should be a cavity behind a black cover that sits snug to the passenger side of the engine area. However, it seems impossible to get into it without attempting to take the car apart. I cannot see the drain holes to even know which side to try and get into. The aircon unit is the only identifiable structure in that problem corner.

I have the same problem with a W202 C280, is the procedure roughly the same? I assume its the outside trim that needs to be removed?

Does the car have air conditioning?
If so it could be the evaporator drain backing up.
Sometimes the plastic/ rubber drain tubes get piched and the water drains back into the passenger compartment.

It does have AC but its not functional (no condenser)
Only fills up footwell when i get heavy rain. Or when washing the car, im sure its just blocked drainage. Only i have just put all the dash back in after fixing climate control, hoping its the behind the plastic strip surrounding the window wiper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom