Leaking injector stuck in the head

Discussion in 'Engine' started by hygt2, Jul 4, 2009.

1. hygt2

hygt2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2003 S320L CDI
    I have a leaking no. 4 injector in the 320CDI and although I cleaned up all the black carbon deposits and was able to take out the holding plate I cannot remove the injector as it appears the carbon has seized the injector in place.

What would be the best method to take it out? Is there a solvent that can penetrate and dissolve the carbon? I don't want to be hitting the injector as I am hoping to savage it.

Also, I read that there is an extraction tool which can be attached to a slide hammer to take it out. Would anyone have this tool that I can borrow?

Thank you very much.

Garrison

2. Olivier

Olivier Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E300 TD
    Is it turning? Or not at all? If it turn I'll take it slowly moving it left to right and WD40 trying to dissolve it? NO?
    Some are removing them with the engine on, but it can pop out really hard and its dangerous.

1 person likes this.
  3. rpe2

rpe2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2010 E350 CDI, 2016 Ford SMax
    Put the bolt back in loosley, connect all fuel pipes, start the engine and let it get as hot as poss, stop when it has got as hot as it will get, or it starts chuffing whichever comes sooner.

If you try and take injectors or glow plugs out when cold you willl always be on a hiding to trouble.

Let us know if that has any effect.

Richard

1 person likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    hygt2

Car:
    2003 S320L CDI
    There is some movement from side to side but it will not turn. I have not tried WD40 because I thought WD40 will not dissolve carbon but I could be wrong. Should I use WD40?

Also, would it not be very dangerous to start the engine with the retaining bracket of the injector removed?

I actually ran the car in traffic until it was so hot it was not touchable unless you wear thick workman gloves (water temp at 95c). Switched off car and proceed to disconnect plug and fuel lines and the retaining bolt and bracket. With everything off I cleaned all the carbon off with brush and compressed air. Spent an hours levering the base from side to side with a long screwdriver trying to break the carbon-up seal and it moved a little more but I gave up after an hour and started putting everything back together.

If I start the engine with the bolt loosen, would the escaped combustion gas melt the loom and plugs when the injector eventually let go (chuffing?) ?

5. rpe2

rpe2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2010 E350 CDI, 2016 Ford SMax
    If I start the engine with the bolt loosen, would the escaped combustion gas melt the loom and plugs when the injector eventually let go (chuffing?) ?[/QUOTE]

No, because as soon as it started chuffing, you would turn the enging off and start again. It is highly unlikely that it will just let go, just move enough slightly to allow you a fighting chance.

1 person likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    hygt2

Car:
    2003 S320L CDI
    Ok, will try that next weekend. Thanks rpe2 :)

7. proser

proser Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W210 E320Cdi Estate
    Try Mr Muscle Oven cleaner - very good at dissolving carbon. Leave it for several hours (overnight) and then start trying to get injector out - should be a little easier.

8. lynall

lynall Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    The silver one.
    Also works well to get tar and crap of falloy wheels, but only leave it on for a few minutes!

Lynall

9. BlackC55

BlackC55 Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Horndean, Portsmouth, Hampshire, Southsea
    Car:
    C43 AMG with a 55 engine and supercharger, E55 AMG, S500, etc
    I have a tool that I rent out for this job. Let me know.

10. sms78

sms78 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

i had a couple of stuck injectors in my e320 cdi ,had to soak them for three days then got them out with a slide hammer:eek: