Leaking injectors?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chesterpiglet

Car
Mercedes W211 E280 Cdi Sport Estate
Hello all
Car struggled to start this morning with 1st sub zero temperatures here.A quick look at the clear fuel lines revealed bubbles suggesting an air leak on the head side.Luckily it bled itself with turning over and started,when warm it starts ok.I took the plastic injector cover off and found each injector well full of diesel fuel.When I started the car up initially I noticed bubbles coming up from one injector,then another and then another.3 don't bubble.When I revved the car it stopped on a couple of these.Presumably the fuel leaks out when the car is stationary and cooled down.I have tightened the lines where they go into the top of the injectors but the leak appears further down presumably where they go into the head.Is it a case of simply tightening the injector itself where they go into the head(if so do I need a special tool?).Another possibly more worrying sympton is when I stopped at lights at the weekend a grey smoke came out of the bonnet vent and I noticed this again when I was watching the bubbling.
I had an issue a few weeks back with the pulley wheel dropping off and the car boiled briefly.There is no oil in the water,water in the oil and the water tank is not pressurising.
Any suggestions gratefully received as always.
Thanks in anticipation
Regards Rob

It sounds like you have 3 minor problems.

1. leaking injector leak off pipes. Replace the rubber piping, you need to buy 1.2 metres of standard leak off pipe.

2. slight compression leak round the injectors. Try tightening them, if that doesn't work they need unscrewing and new heat shields fitting.

3. Bubbles in the clear fuel pipes.
Check that all the clear fuel pipes were replaced when you had a starting issue and also the pre-filter O-ring was done too.

Try revving the engine hard from idle and watching which joint(s) suck in air.
It might well be worth having the fuel tank strainer changed as well as they do become clogged which increases the vacuum within the fuel pipes so cause more air leaks.

The smoke is probably just the diesel in the injector wells boiling off.

Leaking Injectors

The leak seems to be at the joint of the injector where it meets the head.Is there a seal there?What is a heat shield?Is that a seal?When the engine got hot the other month someone suggested the seal may have cracked etc and with the cold weather last night the engine finally really cooled down for the 1st time since then.
Thanks for you reply and suggestion.

Under the injector is a heat sheild, which creates the compression seal as well as protects the tip of the injector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom