Leaking oil? Worry?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeremy156

Car
1995 E320 Coupe
OK guys, what do you make of this?

I just pulled the plastic cover off the top of my engine (M112 V6) to discover rather a lot of what appears to be old oil all over the place.

Is this something to worry about? Expensive repair coming up?

I find she's drinking a fair amount of oil, probably a half litre every 3-4000 miles or so... is that normal, or am I losing some through leaking perhaps?

Cheers,
Jeremy

Attachments

• Engine 001.jpg
    Engine 001.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Engine 002.jpg
    Engine 002.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Engine 003.jpg
    Engine 003.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 48
Can't comment on your immediate problem but I have read that the M112 has a reputation of being thirsty for oil.

S.

Your pics look messy but not allarming. That looks more like oil mist then actual leakage.
Give the engine a good clean then look again. You might have blocked breathers causing crancase pressure so increased oil consuption and some leakage.
As Steve said these engines do like a drink.

OK, I've seen the name "gunk" used a few times in other threads... I'll buy a bottle and see what I can do.

I've no problem if she wants to drink - she'll never match the appetite for oil that my Alfa Romeo had, pretty much a litre every 1000 miles - but regarded as totally normal too. I just had this funny idea that the MB engine would show more restraint ;)

Stop worrying and enjoy the ride... stop worrying and enjoy the ride... stop worrying and enjoy the ride... stop worrying and enjoy the ride... stop worrying and enjoy the ride... stop worrying and enjoy the ride... stop worrying and enjoy the ride... stop worrying and enjoy the ride!

jeremy156 said:
OK, I've seen the name "gunk" used a few times in other threads... I'll buy a bottle and see what I can do.

GUNK foamer is quite good! ;)

That doesn't look very wet to me, I'd not worry. The V6 can use a fair bit of oil. MB isn't worried until 1 litre per 1000km.

I'd clean that up with something - citrus degreaser is pleasant to use and smells nice, and then monitor it. But don't worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom