Leaking Oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nonbeardedady

Car
230 TE Estate
A word of advice needed from some of you Oh knowledgable ones. I bought the car end of Oct. (It's a '92 230 TE Estate) and now the oil is half way between the two markers on the dip stick, which was at the max level when I bought it. The oil leak doesn't appear to be coming from anywhere obvious, (but what would I know!) although there is a slight discolouring on the head gasket but only slight. However it does appear to be from the top of the engine, but here's the thing ..it seems to be being blown over to the left of the engine compartment. It sprays over the strut to the right of the washer bottle. I took it to Caffyns in Dorchester and craftily asked for some free advice. He couldn't really advise much, except to say that if you have it steam cleaned and see if you can see where it's comeing from when it's clean. He was suprised the oil was collecting over to the left of the compartment, it then drips down on to the under engine protection pan and finally drips off that onto a very hot exaust pipe! ...Mmmm I can smell it now!. Well as you probably gathered I'm no mechanic so would appreciate some educated guesses as to where the leak may be coming from/cost of having it put right from the sketcky information given. It's a lovely bus and I'm pleased with her except for this annoying problem ..maybe anyone's had similar?. Also I'm looking for a recommended mechanic in the Dorset area.

As a guide - my M103 engine (2.6l 6 cyl) has is currently leaking oil via the headgasket near the high pressure journal on the rear left side of the engine (closest to the driver). It's at the backof the block, so you really cannot see it.

It drips and leaks out and dribbles down on the exhaust and you can smell it within the car, which is very annoying. Not too frequently, but a new headgasket is required.

Many £££s, but it should fix the problem.

My 260E 6cyl has a slight leak from the front right hand side near the timing case / head joint. Doesnt lose too much oil, about a pint every 2500 miles. I have seen other posts here where member have had similar problems and if I remember correctly seems a common problem. Fortunatley It doesnt drip but stains the side of an otherwise clean engine, annoying but I live with it.

Yes it's difficult to know what to do. I too can smell it from inside the car when it drips onto the exaust which is annoying, however it's not all the time. I've noticed in fact that as I haven't topped the oil up to the max level on the dip stick it's not been as bad. If it's a head gasket I think I'll just live with it as Ian said he does, cos it sounds expensive to get fixed. Well it makes me feel I'm not alone, it does seem quite common. Cheers guys.

Headgasket 7-10 hours of labour.

Not out of the bounds of DIY although at this time of year a warm garage would be a bonus. Head set (gaskets) £69. Waiting for next summer to attack mine. But right now other things are more important like shinny pedals, chrome heater rings, CD changer etc

Last edited:
There is an option thats going through my head at the moment.Have you thought about getting a third party warranty?it might cost a couple of hundred pounds but if you could get one,Give it a few weeks then claim off that and say its just gone on you.Also if you have any more problems with your car you can just make another claim.

Not a bad Idea Pluggers, May just be worth looking into, thanx

If you want a number for the company i use just give us a shout:D

Originally posted by pluggers
If you want a number for the company i use just give us a shout:D

SHOUT !!

WHG Group

Renewals Customer Service Department - 0800 454187

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warranty Holdings Ltd
Stuart House,
Queens Gate,
Britannia Road,Waltham Cross.
EN8 7TF.
Tel - 01992 652277

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom