Leaking sunroof, door trim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tobyh

Car
Mercedes 230E W123
Hello i have a 230e 1984 4 door W123, I have just relized due to this bad weather that i have a major leak!!!!! I cant tell if it is coming in through the manual sunroof or around the passenger door, There was about 2 inches of water under the seat, Does anyone know where i can get this looked at , I am in Hastings but can travel, Thank You in advance

Hello i have a 230e 1984 4 door W123, I have just relized due to this bad weather that i have a major leak!!!!! I cant tell if it is coming in through the manual sunroof or around the passenger door, There was about 2 inches of water under the seat, Does anyone know where i can get this looked at , I am in Hastings but can travel, Thank You in advance

Check the sunroof drains, (in each corner of the sunroof cassette), they can get blocked, rust away to nothing or the rubber tubes that are supposed to allow water to drain away can perish and leak.

There are loads of places it can come from. Water usually ends up in the rear foootwells because this is the lowest point of the car. Try the sunroof drains as mentioned, and also the bonnet spring cavities - make sure that they're not blocked.

W123s, the coupes in particular are notorious for leaking water in from the front and rear windscreen rubbers. This is caused by rust forming under the rubber.

The only cure in this instance is to remove the screen, have the rust properly repaired, and then get the screens properly reinstalled with new rubbers.

Tape up the edges of the sunroof with some electrical tape from the outside and that should eliminate the sunroof.

W123s, the coupes in particular are notorious for leaking water in from the front and rear windscreen rubbers. This is caused by rust forming under the rubber.
The only cure in this instance is to remove the screen, have the rust properly repaired, and then get the screens properly reinstalled with new rubbers.

Tape up the edges of the sunroof with some electrical tape from the outside and that should eliminate the sunroof.

To be precise, the rust under the rubber is caused because the rubber has started to leak! If you catch it early enough (i.e. before it has started to rust much) it can repaired with a new rubber, or bodged with silicone sealant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom