leaking toilet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SportsCoupeRich

MB Enthusiast
Car
RRS
one of the toilets is leaking out the bottom when you flush it. tips to diy fix it? what is the likely cause? is it something that needs tightening or do i just seal the bottom with a sealant? if so which?

If it only leaks on flush, you need a new waste seal.

You will need to disconnect or remove the cistern depending on whether it is connected to the pan, then unscrew the pan and lift it of the waste seal, change seal, refit.

Dieselman is correct. However check that the seal has not become dislodged ( it does happen). And will only leak when flushed. Hands and knees and feel around the seal.

I've had another thought, possibly the same as Bruce.

It could be the cistern to pan seal is compressed, so leaking. A nicer job as it's clean water, not foul.

And if you do remove the cistern from the pan, assuming it's close coupled (not a flush pipe type), replace the donut seal - they don't like being used again after they have been compressed for a period of time.

Good advice getting a new Doughnut, just to add I would also buy some Plumbers Mait as well which costs about £3-£4. It's putty which never cures and it really helps to give a water tight seal, you just roll it up like Plasticine and stick a ring of it around both sides of the Doughnut.

If the cistern is close coupled (i.e. it's mated to the pan and doesn't have a flush pipe) you may be able to leave it fastened to the pan, thereby not disturbing the donut.

Disconnect water, flush toilet (to reduce weight) remove screws that fasten cistern to wall, remove pan screws (not usually very easy) and slide the whole assembly backwards to access the pan connector.

Be careful when reconnecting the water feed as the male thread is plastic and can be cross threaded, meaning a new internal mech - easily done if the feed is at the bottom of the cistern.

Plan B - call plumber.

Last edited:
Before you do anything I'd flush the toilet with 4 or 5 buckets of water first incase there's a build up on the bottom of the soil pipe which prevents water from draining down the pipe completely, then make sure the pan to soil pipe connector is firmly in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom