LEAKY SLK's/SRS LIGHT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smarties

Hello fellow forum members. With the weather getting milder, thoughts are turning to spring and all things topless!! :) With our 420SL being a self confessed garage queen, and reluctant to make an appearance, I had been drawn into the idea of picking up an SLK for the season, prices are looking distinctly bargain basement. So it was we set out at the weekend to look at what on the face of it is a very mice example. 2002 vintage with 2 owners, present one 6 years. Just 34000 miles with FMBSH, nice colour and spec. However on arrival I was concerned by the amount of condensation on the windows (car is not garaged). Feeling around on the carpets, the passenger side was very wet, pulling it back revealed a metal board and what appears to be a load of electrics behind it, again the floor pan was very wet. Anyhow, after leaving the engine running for 5 minutes or so the SRS light comes on and stays on! Also, looking in the boot there was a small amount of water under the spare wheel. I felt sorry for the owner as the car has not been used for the past 5 months and it was falling apart in front of his eyes. Any ideas where the water maybe coming from, and could the SRS light be in any way connected to it. Do these cars suffer water leaks/electrical gremlins? We owned a SLK back in 2003, that was very dry…it never came out of the garage!!:doh: Thanks for looking.

Sorry, can't help. My SLK doesn't go out in the rain.

My 07 plate 171 lives outside and is dry as a bone.

My son's Y reg 170 also gets used all year round and he gets some condensation in the boot. He keeps a portable dehumidifier in there to soak it up. The cab never gets wet and he has no electrical problems.

I'm made up for you guys, having no issues with your SLK's. However, I was hopeing that someone could give me a few pointers as to what to look for and where/why they may leak

So, is this the only leaky SLK out there? I was hopeing someone could shed some light

I have the same issue - SLK SRS light comes on after 5 minutes and stays on. No leak or water issues. The 5 minutes is consistent - it applies whether the car is traveling, parked and running, or simply off but the ignition on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom