Learner Driver Insurance Advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
Young Ringway, Elizabeth (21) is having driving lessons with an instructor.

Following a similar vein to that of our son Les when he was leaning, I would like to take her on lessons myself.

The scenario:

I don't want her to drive any of our cars at the learning stage, so we now have a SEAT Cupra 1.2.

Here's the tricky bit.
The insurance for myself and Les (25) is on my company trade/fleet policy.

For Elizabeth, I think a private policy for the SEAT Cupra in my name with her as a named driver would be the best way to play it until she passes her test?

This would enable me to give her tuition in addition to that of the driving instructor?

Any advice, especially if I'm in danger of doing something illegal, would be most gratefully accepted.

TIA.

Paul.

As she would be doing the majority of the driving, to have you as the main driver and her as named is fronting and illegal.She would need to be the main driver.

Whilst as a learner, this can actually be quite reasonable as she is always under supervision. Its when she passes it rockets.

Get some quotes with her as main and you as named, you may be surprised.

All done and above board.

Insured with Hastings Direct. Myself, Les and Elizabeth. £528.
Tried a 30 day period for the learner driver insurance with Marmalade for £80. My NCB unaffected if there is a claim.

If and when Elizabeth passes the driving test, the insuring of the car will start again, with her as the main driver and my son and I as named drivers.

Many thanks for the advice. :thumb:

If and when Elizabeth passes the driving test, the insuring of the car will start again, with her as the main driver and my son and I as named drivers.

Many thanks for the advice. :thumb:

That's when the price goes up Paul.
Didn't see this thread earlier or I'd have chimed in.

If you add a mature female driver to the named drivers, premium should come down a bit more.

I insured my son in his own name from 17. A150 manual, with black box - 1st year £1350 fully comp, 2nd year £675 fully comp, third year £390 fully comp no black box.

He now has two years NCB in his own name. Both myself and his mother are named drivers on his policy.

I'm pleased to announce that Elizabeth passed her test at the first attempt on the 5th of November.

As well as her instructor lessons, as with my son Les, I took Elizabeth out for long lessons which enabled me to teach and also gauge her progress, which although time-consuming, was very enjoyable and worthwhile.

I was a little confused as to why two men went out on the test with her (so was she!) and it transpires that the examiner was being (periodically?) examined!
She must have driven to the top of her game, because I should think the examiner would be keen to show he was doing his job properly and I'm also heartened that she is deemed safe enough to be on the public highway.

I have now insured the car in Elizabeth's name, with Les and I as named drivers.
To do this with Hastings Direct was circa £1100.
I managed to get fully comp cover with Insure The Box (they will install a black box in the next few days) for around £780 which is a very fair result.

Many thanks for the advice and information. :thumb:

Congratulations Elizabeth!

Watching with interest. Baby D is no longer a Baby and will be learning to drive very soon.

Congratulations Elizabeth!

Watching with interest. Baby D is no longer a Baby and will be learning to drive very soon.

Good luck, Baby D.

Les and Liz both had lessons from instructors but I made sure that whilst with me, they both encountered those situations I wouldn't want them to have when out on their own soon after passing their test.
City/rush hour driving, known awkward roundabouts/junctions, rural driving day and night and also certain districts where red lights mean sweet FA.
They will come across all manner of situations, so best have dad with them to guide them through and explain what will (probably) happen next.

I thoroughly enjoyed teaching them and actually miss going out with them.

Quite a few things have changed since I passed my test in around 1980/81.
The rules about indication around bikes and parked vehicles have changed so have other things on which you will be corrected by the learner as you go... :D

I'm pleased to announce that Elizabeth passed her test at the first attempt on the 5th of November.

As well as her instructor lessons, as with my son Les, I took Elizabeth out for long lessons which enabled me to teach and also gauge her progress, which although time-consuming, was very enjoyable and worthwhile.

I was a little confused as to why two men went out on the test with her (so was she!) and it transpires that the examiner was being (periodically?) examined!
She must have driven to the top of her game, because I should think the examiner would be keen to show he was doing his job properly and I'm also heartened that she is deemed safe enough to be on the public highway.

I have now insured the car in Elizabeth's name, with Les and I as named drivers.
To do this with Hastings Direct was circa £1100.
I managed to get fully comp cover with Insure The Box (they will install a black box in the next few days) for around £780 which is a very fair result.

Many thanks for the advice and information. :thumb:

Congratulations! Bit late to the party but this was the way I did it with the wife. I bought her a car whilst she was learning. I bit the bullet and insured it under her name with me as a named driver so I could give her lessons. Less than a year later she passed and her premium went up as she was now a inexperienced driver on the road herself, however she had accrued a year's no claims already as she had the policy in her name. A couple of years later her premiums have come down dramatically and the extra year's no claims was useful which was gained whilst learning. It was an older Seat 1.9TDI, starting at around £1700 for insurance but is now around £600 through admiral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom