Learners to use motorways from next year

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stratman, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Stratman

Stratman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
    Motorway lessons for learner drivers confirmed for 2018 (BBC)

2. LTD

LTD MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Yep, one of THOSE !!!
    Sooner it becomes part of the test - the better.

Too many middle lane ****ers using the motorway at present.

3 people like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Stratman

Car:
    W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
    While I approve of the principle, I'll be interested to see how Cornish or Highland drivers for instance complete a motorway section of the test.

4. Dave Richardson

Dave Richardson Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C Class 220 Evo CDI

Have the Cornish seen roads yet? :dk:Horses & carts down there mate.:D

5. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I doubt it will make the slightest bit of difference to this particular facet of motorway driving behaviour.

6. MancMike

MancMike New Member

As soon as I passed my test, the same day, we hit the motorway and went somewhere. It was all just common sense, very logical. Stay left unless you're overtaking, match motorway speed on the slip road, etc... I was slightly nervous, but that lasted about 5 minutes...

I've someone in the family who's so terrified of driving, she won't go on a motorway ever and won't tackle roundabouts, honestly she'll take massive detours to avoid them. She's a terrible driver, but mainly due to nerves. Maybe some tuition from her driving school would have helped.

7. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W211 E320 CDI - W212 E250 CDI
    Same here...

motorways are the easiest roads to drive on in my opinion

8. stwat

stwat Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1989 W126 300 SE
    The same here. We went for a trip to Manchester from Sheffield. Or Madchester as it was known in those heady days:D

9. geraldrobins

geraldrobins Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    VW Golf, past c200cdi
    I think the same can be said for many areas.

10. rf065

rf065 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
    Not sure it will make any difference at all, witnessed last week a small hatchback with green P plates sitting on the outside lane of a dual c/way at 40mph with a queue of 30 cars behind it for 2 miles before it pulled over.

Given the P plates mean they recently passed their test and dual c/ways are already used by learners, you have to ask if they have been taught or learned anything?

Russ

11. GeeJayW

GeeJayW Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C250d AMG Line P+ Estate (S205), MX-5 25th Anniversary Edition
    Getting on and getting off the motorway needs confidence and forward thinking, both challenging areas for learners.

Lane discipline is very poor in the UK. I'm convinced a lot of it is down to our 'keeping our place in the queue' mentality. Does my head in!

12. mbsilver

mbsilver Member

Car:
    Nissan QQ
    It's not just middle lane hoggers now with more lanes it seems lanes 2,3 and 4 are also guilty.

But it does annoy me to be in lane 1 and passing traffic in lane 2 and 3! If I then overtake in lane 1 it would look like I was undertaking, but that's a different debate.
    Never understood why we never got taught motorway driving when we started to learn?

have a great sunny day ( Sunday!)

13. geraldrobins

geraldrobins Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    VW Golf, past c200cdi
    Motorway driving has been in the highway code since the 60s. I was asked a question about motorway driving on my test in 1967.
    Being taught motorway driving has to be a good thing surely. And to put anyones mind at rest it has to be done with dual control vehicles. I doubt instructors will take learners out on a busy motorway at their first trial.

14. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    So it would appear that motorway driving by learner drivers is to be permitted under controlled conditions. However this is not going to be a compulsory part of the driving test meaning many [ drivers and driving schools ] may still chose to avoid it.

15. esscee

esscee Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212 (265)
    When doing the motorway section, the learner is only going to be as good as the instructor at that time.

16. liamt

liamt Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2018 C Class 250d AMG Line, Premium Plus
    Agreed,

I'm not having a dig at all driving instructors, like in all professions there are good and bad but where I live I've seen some driving instructors take people onto dual carriage ways and other major roads and they are clearly not confident enough or have not yet mastered basic control of the vehicle.

That being said I'm glad it is being added to the test. I certainly feel it would have helped me when I was learning.

Liam

17. zipdip

zipdip Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    s320
    Well I suppose it is a good idea,lets face it motorway driving is the easiest driving we do the road is wide and every car should be going in the same direction,and the motorway can be a very friendly place,if you drive in the middle lane lots of people get the chance to wave at you as they pass either side of you,some even want to talk to you, which is silly because your window is up and you have the radio on and there is too much noise to hear them,the only real problem is what lane do you use when the motorway has 4 lanes,that is a very big problem,maybe I should start a thread.

18. OP
    OP
    Stratman

Car:
    W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
    I've seen more than a few cars on motorways, obviously owned by driving instructors, showing pretty poor standards of driving. Not keeping left, not indicating when changing lane and so on.

19. Pontoneer

Pontoneer MB Club Veteran

Car:
    '93 190E 2.3LE W201 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    There is no proposal to incorporate motorway driving into the test - only to encourage tuition under controlled conditions .

Many test centres are too far from motorways for this to be possible .

1 person likes this.
  20. GeeJayW

GeeJayW Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C250d AMG Line P+ Estate (S205), MX-5 25th Anniversary Edition
    Having thought about this some more, I think the biggest danger will be introducing drivers to the motorway that actually drive according to the Highway Code, use the lanes correctly and adhere to the speed limits!

Rarely see that kind of driving on the motorway. It'll be a disaster..